How to know when to tweak/when to stop? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
How to know when to tweak/when to stop?

I've got my tanks to the point where they seem pretty healthy and stable.
While I like the way they look, they are nowhere as awesome as some of you guys'.
I figure with pressurized CO2, 260w lighting on 2 timers, and EI dosing of macros and micros I've got several factors I could tweak if I wanted to.
But I tend to be a pretty solid fan of "if it ain't broke..."
Moreover, from what I read, it can take several weeks after making any change before evaluating the success/failure of that change.
And if you change more than one factor at a time, you run into difficulties telling which factor resulted in what changes.

So I guess I'd like to hear your views.
If you have a decent looking tank with a variety of healthy plants and fish - when (if ever) do you decide it is "good enough" and just stick with your current regimen?
Or, if you figure whatever you have it can always be improved, how do you go about making improvements without crashing your whole system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 01:49 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
ya i think i tweak to much at the same time and it if it works i dont know witched one helped lol i really need to stop tweaking to many things at once lol
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
- when (if ever) do you decide it is "good enough" and just stick with your current regimen?
For me, its when I look at it and I don't see anything Obviously wrong and I am Happy with the way it looks....

Right now, I am just waiting on things to fill in....Otherwise: I'm Happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 03:32 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2
Tweaking's bad mmmmmmk?

Sounds like you are doing everything right. If plants are growing and algae is not then I leave the hardware alone. Rearranging stem plants... now that I am never done with.

-Craig
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 04:13 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I don't think the tweaking ever ends . . . . if it did would our hobby (obsession) be fun?

It's a lot easier to tweak one thing at a time, then witness results over weeks at a time, as was mentioned
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
You might as well go ahead and tweak. Once you get the thought in your head of "I wonder how this would look....." it is pretty hard to silence.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 05:11 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Like Ernie said--tweaking is what's fun about it. I tweak as the spirit moves me.

Figs
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 01:16 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I've only got one high light tank, and as I'm still learning about this stuff, I have trouble not trying new things.

On the other hand, my daughter's low-tech 10g (yeah, like it's really hers ), gets very little done to it. It's got low-light plants, gets WC's every 8-12 weeks, Excel at least once a week...

So, maybe if I had more high-tech tanks, I could resist the urge to tweak. So, there's your answer. Go buy more tanks!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 03:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've got 2 high light, high co2 tanks. I've got lots of neat semi rare plants and at least 3 types of algae. I am constantly tweaking to get rid of algae and get some of my harder plants to grow, such as R. Macrandra.

Good Luck,

Mike
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2006, 05:54 AM

Well, I didn't read most of what was said above, but i usually just remove bits I think look too long or are dying. I also just move some leaves around that look like they are out of place. When to stop is in the eye of the beholder and there in lies the art of the tweak.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:43 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
When to tweak and when to stop? I think of it more as what to tweak and what not to tweak.

I would say if you want to mess about with plants...do it. Try different species and different placement of plants. Experiment. You can always put things back.

I would also say once you have your lighting set, have a dosing plan that works and have your water parameters right...LEAVE THOSE ALONE! Don't screw around with a new dosing technique or play about with lighting. Every time I did, I got smacked around.

So play with your plants, leave those other things alone once you have something that works.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 02:44 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
would also say once you have your lighting set, have a dosing plan that works and have your water parameters right...LEAVE THOSE ALONE!
I don't know if I agree. . . . as you change the plant load, the dosing will certainly need some tweaking. Not to mention what CrownMan suggested about getting certain tough to grow species to thrive. I mean seriously, once you've conqured one tough species do you really think you will "call it good" and stick with that setup forever? I say, "why fight the change when you know it's comin!"
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I agree with Esarkipato. I'm constantly adjusting my dosing regimen, albeit little by little, to see if some other combination works better.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
eds

These last 3 comments really focus on what I'm thinking about.
Like I said, a certain range of plants seem to be doing well under my current set-up, and algae is at a minimum.
But, my tank sure isn't the alka-seltzer factor some of you guys have, and the growth - while robust - is not off the charts across the boards.
So, I find myself thinking, even though things are growing well under the current set-up, would they do even better with a little more/less CO2, higher or lower PO4 or NO3 - or a different ration between the 2, or a different photoperiod?
But the big fear is, as momo says, if I change something, things will get worse and I'll have a heck of a time getting back to where I am now.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:28 PM

For myself, it's whenever i am personally happy with it. This is YOUR fish tank so you have every right to do whatever you have to do to make it look good enough for your own personal please. All you have to do is consider the health of your wildlife along the way and if this isnt harmed, you can do whatever you want until it feels right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode