Question about these worm looking things. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question about these worm looking things.

I just noticed today in my shrimp tank, these worm looking things on the glass.

They looked different, one looked like a snail with no shell and the other looked like a long white worm.

The tank has shrimp and plants. It gets fed once a day, very sparingly.

What are these things?

150G River Tank - 30+ Clown Loach, 6 Botia Striata, 6 Botia Dario, 4 Schistura Manherti, 2 Misc Rainbow, 3 Tiger Barb, 3 SAE, 2 Bristlenose
75G Planted - Lots of Cherry Shrimp, Amano Shrimp
[/SIZE]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
withouth better discription or pictures of the worms then I cant help you. Though I can tell you that its nematodes, flatworms, or tubifix worms.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 09:25 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by co2
if it glides like a snail its planeria. If it moves in an "s" shape its nematode. If it moves like an inchworm its tubifix. You cant just assume its planeria.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are any of the 3 dangerous?

Dont see where they could of come from, I dont overfeed, the water is very clean.

150G River Tank - 30+ Clown Loach, 6 Botia Striata, 6 Botia Dario, 4 Schistura Manherti, 2 Misc Rainbow, 3 Tiger Barb, 3 SAE, 2 Bristlenose
75G Planted - Lots of Cherry Shrimp, Amano Shrimp
[/SIZE]
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have all 3 of these and I think it ads to the biodiversity of the tank. Believe me in a mature tank there will be many more then these 3 organisms. I think my cherry shrimp in my 2.5g are actually feasting on the very small nematodes. I also have tubifix worms in my 2.5g that i siphon out with a pipet and feed to my apistos. The flat worms are rarer in my tanks. Though every once in a while I will see one gliding along the glass of my tank. They are safe and there shouldnt be anything to be worried about. They are a little creepie though.

peace,
Ry

Peace,
Ry

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 12:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
"Creepy" is the word for it !!! The little bitty nematodes are nothing... I've got something that I just saw today, about 3 or 4 inches long, some kind of flat wormy thing. I've seen him zip around a couple of times, light, and dig himself out of sight into the substrate. Planaria don't get that big, leeches appear to be segmented, this thing also appeared to have an egg casing around its "neck" (at least I believe that's what it is???) Looked more like a flat earthworm than anything else, but only 4 inches long. My research today hasn't given me any matches. As long as it's harmless I don't care, but aaarrggghhh, I really, really, wish I hadn't seen the danged thing!

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 12:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

tubifix worms can get really long. I dont know hoe long but 3" or 4" doesnt sound uncommon for things related to earthworms. An egg casing sound wierd and "CREEPY " though. I would be carefull not to stick your hand in your tank because I heard those large suckers can enter into your body via underneath your fingure nail EEEEEEKKKK!!!! just kiding lol.. that made me laugh..

Peace,
Ry

Peace,
Ry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode