New 2.5g trouble - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
New 2.5g trouble

Hi, I've been questioning wether or not my 2.5g is going to work. I got a few plants (anubias nana, java fern, java moss (I think...I found it in a river), some other type of fern...forgot the name, and some random grass from my LFS. As you can see in the pictures I've rubber banded the Java Fern and the Java Moss (?) to some driftwood. Hoping it will latch on. The mystery fern is planted in the gravel. I have no substrate other than gravel in my tank. I am dosing with Kent Iron & Manganese, and SeaChem CO2 stuff. Very small amounts with a syringe. I have an LED light on for about 12 hours a day. I tried to get plants that didn't need a ton of light. I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Unfortunately I'm going on vacation for a week and am having my neighbor take care of my tanks for me. He is an avid fish keeper but not well learned on planted tanks. Please let me know anything I can do better for the tank. I want to make sure everything grows happy and healthy. Side note: This is day 2 of having the plants in my tank. They looked happier in the store.

Overall of the tank

Here is the LED lighting I mentioned

My Anubias Nana looking not so happy (Black and dead looking)

Java Fern on the left. Mystery moss on the right. Possibly Java moss?

Mystery plant looking brown and dying.

Mystery Grass. The only thing in the tank that looks 100% healthy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
ya that grass looks good, what do you have for fish stock?

So a guy walks into a Pet Store

Guy: "I have Algae on my drift wood!"

Pet Clerk: "Take two Plecos and call me next week."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EHEIM Classic 2213
Check out my blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Planted Member

You could buy a timer for the light that way your neighbor doesn't have to worry about that. You can get one for less than $5. Do you have fish or just plants? If it is just the plants you may not even need your neighbor.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

looking good im doing a 2 gallon nano at the moment, i have a java moss carpet and some ludwiga red i think, i dont bother dosing any thing and i have no co2 at the moment. its doing goo and i think the best thing you could put in there would be some cherry shrimp, there awsome.

FISHY
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Algae Grower

just make sure you get that timer or you will have some major cleanup to do when you get home :O as long as you have that, its a matter of patience and justting the plants recover and waiting for them to get healthy. you should set the photoperiod to be about 8 hours at the start since you don't seem to have any fish in the tank. This way the plants won't starve or die during ur trip. if no fish, no need to have anyone watching it as long as you get that timer.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi
Those plants do not look like they are using any Co2. How about a home made bottle system like the one in the link below to help them use those ferts? The light looks really great! and I would be sure to tell your neighbor to top off the tank during the week since it looks like it has lost a quart already in what ever amount of time since last water change.

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#6 The single bottle type will work great for your system and read from the top of the article to get a good idea about how much yeast to start off with vs sugar and water.

Remember light/ferts/Co2/water chemistry all work together to form a balance for the plants to "Thrive" not just live!

Good luck.

"You Killed Fritz!"

Bakshi references are always cool!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks everyone for the input! I have seven ghost shrimp in there right now as tester shrimp. When I get back I plan on getting cherry shrimp I'll look into the co2 thing!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode