Planted tanks at work? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (28/100%)
Planted tanks at work?

just wanted to see how many of us that spend 8+ hours in an office have brought our "hobby" (obsession) into the office? If so, whatchya got?

I just brought in a bowl with 1m/2f guppies, java moss tied to a stone, asian ambulia and floating watersprite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I work at home part time freelance web designer, so basically I spend as much time as I can after school or when priorities are done.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:48 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Boss has his old 55g Reef tank here. Im thinking of getting one of those Betta bowls with light.

I do have a webcam setup on my tank at home and I have it open most of the time at work.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 02:04 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've got a 3 gal hex w/ Endlers and cherries.
I'll drag my camera in and snap a shot.
Low light - java moss, java fern, crypt balensae, a. nana petite.

Last fall I went into my big boss' office, and her first words were "we have to spend $1000" (end of fiscal year wasteage.) Without losing a beat I said, "We should buy an aquarium." No such luck!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
Just set up a little nano today! I have an old glass container that looks like a huge brandy glass, with a lid. Filled it, put a bit of florite and a few low light plants in it today. Now to figure out the lighting...

30g planted with cories, white clouds, Harlequin Rasboras ,ottos.
10g planted with glowlight tetras and an otto.
Outdoor pond with one common goldfish and comets.
5.5g with endlers.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I've had a planted 10g tank in my office (then cube) since last October. It's really a moss and Cherry shrimp factory.

—Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Keck, a webcam is the next best thing

New 2 fish, I also have no lighting per se on my bowl. I just stuck a stem of ambulia, floating watersprite, and moss and I'm hoping the fluorescents in the office will keep them alive and growing!

Also, an interesting point: I'm testing out my theory of using activated charcoal/ammo-rid as substrate. It's sort of cheesy black and white color, but we will see what kind of results we get. I think the guppies will be okay! My theory is that it will ab/adsorb nutrients like ammonia at first, while the bacteria are developing, then they will become full and start releasing back to the water column, feeding the plants! I know, crackpot theory, right?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:59 PM
eds

A lot of the desk lamps you frequently find lying around offices can perform admirable service lighting nanos. And who really needs to see what they are reading anyway!

Also, checking any the large on-line suppliers will uncover a selection of clip on CFs for around $10 - perfect for a low-light, low-tech nano.

Add a timer for a couple of bucks and you are good to go!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 12:59 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keck
Boss has his old 55g Reef tank here. Im thinking of getting one of those Betta bowls with light.

I do have a webcam setup on my tank at home and I have it open most of the time at work.
do you have a staic ip for your webcam feed . Or do you use some program if so whats the program. How do you resolve the ip if its dynamic.

we should start a webcam post so we can see the tanks of people with webcams. sorry off topic for this thread.
Dave
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 01:35 PM

I have a static IP that I run a server from, but the webcam is not part of it.

I am using the Orb service (www.orb.com) to view my webcam, TV tuner and media files. I think I read about the ability to share the service with others, but I haven’t tried.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 02:02 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschmeh
do you have a staic ip for your webcam feed . Or do you use some program if so whats the program. How do you resolve the ip if its dynamic.
You can use DynDNS to solve that problem for you, it's free.

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

-Craig
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 02:32 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2
I had a 6 gallon acrylic cube made for my cube(icle). I made a hood with 39 watts of AH Supply CF's, DIY CO2 w/internal reactor with Glosso foreground and other high light plants... translation = way too much work for an office tank, I ended up bringing it home.

Now I have a 4 gallon Finnex with a 13w light that I am setting up here this week. It will just have small Java Ferns, Anubias and moss with some Cherry Shrimp. I am going to add a couple drops of Excel on weekdays. Way less maintenance. The lesson here is to be practical, there is enough stress at work, no need to add more...

-Craig
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 01:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jasonh
My company is moving to a new office this summer, and I will have a nice sized cubicle. Seeing as I have 0 room on my current desk, I'm thinkin a 2.5-4gal with an AHSupply 13w over the top is due in the summer..

Jason
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 06:03 AM
Algae Grower

I started out with a Betta in a vase (with the plant on top) from my co-worker as a gift. I knew it wouldn't last because others that got the same systems, they didnt' last long.

I had a personal quest in keeping my Betta healthy. After almost 1 year, i've upgraded him to the Eclipse 3 gallon and still no problems

I took him back home since I was on vacation and didn't want to take care of him at work.

Now I have an Eclipse 6 gallon tank with low light 8W lighting that has a bunch of crypts and microswords. I have been dosing Seachem products. I brought 2 of my baby corys from home and they are really growing fast.

The next step is a 15G with a 65W compact florescent. I think I'll bring the betta back at that time

15g acrylic with 1 gold fish | 10g with a bunch of guppies| 40g with plants for the Goldfish's new home
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-09-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoiGSR
The next step is a 15G with a 65W compact florescent. I think I'll bring the betta back at that time
Haha, getting high-tech at the office, huh? I've considered the same myself. . . .
BTW, does a 65W CF light fit over a 15 gallon tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode