Sand depth for a too deep tank... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/97%)
Sand depth for a too deep tank...

My 110 is 30in, way too deep for me to easily plant a thing and the plants are not happy about being so far from the light.
I have about 3in sand in there already and I can buy another 50# bag.
What I'm wondering is how much sand is safe to dump into a 110, I'm thinking it doesn't matter much, since its small and evenly placed. I wanted to add enough to make it about 5 to 7 inches deep.
Thoughts?

I've tried trading this tank for a similar size, but more shallow, nothing. So now I need to do something because I'm sick of seeing 3 fish swim around the top where there is nothing. It's so boring and I was thinking of getting some schooling fish, but my BGK will eventually be able to eat the nice, small fish and I don't want to add anything that will bother her or the Angels.

♡ Forever Farms Babydoll Southdown Sheep ♡
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Plant up then. Get a big piece of branchy wood and attach Anubias, moss and ferns to it. Cheaper is to use a couple smaller pieces and fit together.

You could fill the tank with a slope of sand but it won't stay and you would be looking at 5" of sand at the front. You could put bags of gravel in back, front that with some thin stone like slate and seal any leaks, add more sand behind and have a normal amount in front. And sand might get anaerobic patches if so deep, some people do have trouble with such stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Already have plants on wood and such, never had anaerobic patches kill anything. It might kill other people's fish for some reason, but I've never had any issues. My 20 I just redid is constantly releasing bubbles as the poop layer decomposes and the fish couldn't care less.

So much dead space...
In my avatar, that's the 75. It had 4in sand on the sides and back, sloping thin in the middle and front. But the tank leaks and it's in an unheated/uninsulated room, had to be torn down.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well, guess I'll just add sand and do the slope to the back and sides, have the wood and some rocks in the center shallow. Bought two 50# bags today.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 01:49 AM
ETK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sand depth for a too deep tank...

What about making it a riparium? If you only filled the tank half way you could do a lot of interesting things with emergent plants. I think tanks like that look great with hard scape and/or sloped substrate that is partially submerged.

-ETK

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Nah, I couldn't resist adding frogs then and I don't want to be breeding crickets again. And the light is still too high up, w/o water up the trim, it really spreads out into the room.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Added 100# sand, not enough, but oh well. Got the vals long the whole back wall, most arent very long, hoping being a few inches closer to the light will change that.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Why don't you get some fake rocks and build some terraces along the back of the tank? If fake rocks are not for you, then maybe you can get a ceramic pot filled with dirt (capped with sand) to sit on the back of the tank. This will give you a terrace-looking fill. I wonder if you could even have some plants hanging from that pot to cover it up. An alternative to just using sand would be to place ceramic bricks or rocks. You can then cover that up with sand. This should help you raise the level of your tank. I personally would find a tank-safe pot fill it with dirt and cap it with sand to put on the back. The one I envision is the long rectangular ones they sell on the gardening stores. Good luck!

BTW, that's a nice tank you have there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode