do we want to give up our niche? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
do we want to give up our niche?

Given the growing popularity of the hobby, ie I am actually running into more people who know what the hay I'm talking about. Do we want to give up our niche, I mean the wow factor when someone walks into your home and sees a planted tank for the first time. I guess availability of rarer species, and alternative supplies, as well as drops in cost are good. I've only been doing this about three years, but I kind of treasure the uniqueness of the hobby (not to make too broad a statement). There may be a time when I end up looking back with nostalgia as I muddled through new ideas, and sought out gems of insight on the various forums, Just a stab in the dark, I just really enjoy some of the mystery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:03 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Yeah, but if I could walk into a crowded room and find *anyone* else that I could spend the night talking planted tanks with, I'd be a happy camper!

Sure, the uniqueness is kinda cool. But talking to folks and watching their eyes glaze over ain't my idea of fun .
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:04 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS
Yeah, but if I could walk into a crowded room and find *anyone* else that I could spend the night talking planted tanks with, I'd be a happy camper!
So rediculously true ~

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS

Sure, the uniqueness is kinda cool. But talking to folks and watching their eyes glaze over ain't my idea of fun .
Same here. My girlfriend puts up with me rambeling on about plants and fish, but most my friends think i'm crazy.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Who's "in" and Who's "out"

The internet is allowing hobbies to flourish. Without this site and other gems (like the Krib, Rex's and Chuck's sites) I would still be in the dark ages. If the whole world winds up with a tank as nice as mine, all the better. Who am I to just get on the boat, then turn around and say to the guy behind me that no one else is allow to board?

Same applies to all subcultures and interests. In my opinion, this kind of free information exchange is the saving grace of an otherwise self-serving and unscrupulous enterprise.

A planted tank in every home!!

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
The planted tank hobby is far from becoming mainstream. It is too complex and takes too much time and knowledge to be something for everyone.

Last night I went to my LFS and talked to an employee only to find out he had a 150 gal planted tank!!! He even knew some of the names of the plants he kept alive. Not familiar with CO2 injection, still... it felt good to meet a fellow tanker.

Not concerned with losing uniqueness...

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 09:40 PM

PTrader: (6/100%)
I don`t think it`ll ever get to the point where people aren`t impressed with a well laid out tank. Planted tanks have become the norm in my eyes but I still stand there drooling when I see a well maintained and aquascaped one.

I enjoy my hobby. I don`t care how many or how few people have the same one.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
To tell you the truth, I have never seen another planted tank in person besides my own! I've never even seen an LFS that had a decent supply of plants with the exception of one I dropped in at when I visited my sister in Chattanooga (The Bermuda Triangle, Ooltewah, TN.) CO2 Injection, high light, dosing ferts? Fageddabouddit! You might as well be speaking ancient Latin (come to think about, you are speaking ancient Latin in some instances ... )

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
The Bermuda Triangle, Ooltewah, TN
I just found out I have a cousin living in Ooltewah!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
I just found out I have a cousin living in Ooltewah!

Mike
Congratulations ! I just like spelling it, Ooltewah, Ooltewah, Ooltewah! Now, do you know how to pronounce it ?*

*Pretty much like it's spelled, emphasis on the first syllable --- OO-de-wah

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

There's a thriving group of folks around this region where it isn't hard to find someone with a similar passion.

To get rid of the boredom of it, I'm always looking out for something different that I don't have or haven't kept before. At this moment, that happens to be Crypts.

Eric

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I also tend to think that planted aquariums will never be anywhere near mainstream because of the already mentioned reasons: it often takes a great deal of time, knowledge, effort, commitment, $$, etc. How can that compare to sitting on the couch and watching Comedy Central?

Bonsai has been around for a long time. A large chunk of people can recognize a bonsai tree even if it's just from Karate Kid. Yet, who keeps Bonsai? No one around me, that's for sure. No one is willing to learn about the techniques or invest the decades that Bonsai requires.

Some hobbies will always be limited to specific personality types, no matter if every Walmart is full of the supplies and books and displays because some hobbies require time and work and that will always put off the great majority of people.

Thank goodness. Things go to hell when they go mainstream because they get taken out of the hands of the people that actually care.

"Insanity: doing [or asking] the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 12:44 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
I agree with BSS. I'd be in 7th heaven if I could meet a fellow hobbiest face to face. When I first started in this hobby, it was pre-internet. Forums like this one are a real treat, but a real-life friend to share with would be even nicer.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by observant_imp
Forums like this one are a real treat, but a real-life friend to share with would be even nicer.
Well said, Cheryl. Our club's monthly meeting always run late because everyone is so darn happy to be talking with like folks that no one wants to leave . I've even converted two of my coworkers from salt to fw plants; now every monday morn we spend 1/2 hour catching up and looking at photos. The internet has its merits, but no substitute for good ol' fashion human interaction. This is probably why I have no interest to create a "myspace" page .

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Growing popularity to me means:

Articles in Fish mags (I buy the ones with good plant article hoping they will continue)

Eco or fluorite at the LFS/big box (sometimes)

We have a number of planted tankers in Seattle... Wonder if a relationship exists between temp and tropical tanks Like Tropica in Denmark...

Moved to Tucson.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode