DSM moss on wood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
DSM moss on wood

So i have an empty 10g laying around and figured, hey why not set it up? I have an eheim on another tank, and that filter will be ready in about a month to stick on this 10g. In the meantime, I figured I could DSM a bunch of java moss onto a large chunk of driftwood in the 10g. (mince up moss, paint it on, mist it daily or so) The problem is, the piece of driftwood I want to use will float whenever I decide to flood the tank.
Is there any way around this? In the past, I have used slate drilled to the bottom of the wood to hold it down, but I have no extra slate left (and dont know how to drill it myself..)

So does anyone know another way to hold down a large piece of driftwood? Or how have others dealt with floating driftwood after DSM in the past?

If I cant figure it out, I guess Ill just tie on the moss and try to sink it for the month...but I would really like to mince up the moss to get it to grow quicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
DSM moss on wood

Slating driftwood is really easy actually. I believe it looks the nicest and that it's the most practical. Visit your local home improvement store. I got to Home Depot. They almost always sell slate and masonry bits. You'll also need a fairly long screw or two and some washers. Both need to be stainless steel. I'm assuming you have access to a power drill already. If not you can purchase one or borrow one. the buoyancy of the wood will determine how many holes you'll need to drill. Playing it safe with 2 screws is always nice. Once you tighten the masonry bit into your power drill make sure you have a saturated wash cloth handy. Turn the drill to high torque setting if it has it. Wet the slate area where you want to drill. ( place wood on slate to get an idea of where you want your holes and how the wood will sit in the tank). Drill into the slate slowly and wet in increments as you drill. Wipe away the clay-like paste that will form from the slate debris. Now drill a hole into the wood slighly smaller than the diameter of the screw that you will be fastening the wood to the slate with.(Fatter screws are better but be careful not the split the wood). Repeat with another hole if necessary. Place the screws through the washers and align them in their proper holes. Use the appropriate screwdriver drill bit to drill in the screws into the wood slowly. You can do it manually with a screwdriver but prepare yourself for a sore wrist if you've got thick screws. I hope that's thorough enough :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
You could also try boiling the wood first, I guess it depends on the size though. The last time I did this I forgot to boil and all kinds of wonderful things started to grow on the wood. The boiling will also help to waterlog the piece.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
Cool, a few replies within a half hour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkmonky View Post
Slating driftwood is really easy actually.
Awesome, I didnt realize it was that easy. Ill run by my menards and home depot to check if they have slate. (websites show they have the bits) If they dont, Im sure the local landscaping company will!

and yes, I already have the drill and ss screws. woohoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom View Post
You could also try boiling the wood first, I guess it depends on the size though.
My wood is too big!

(no pun intended)

Since I have a thread running, heres another question:
I am planning on dirting the 10g and capping with sand. I was just going to stick the driftwood in the empty tank to DSM then add the substrate whenever I flood it. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to adding the substrate at the beginning of the DSM? (Maybe some of the ammonia will be released out of the MGOCPS during DSM?)

Last edited by thebuddha; 03-15-2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: bc im awesome

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode