Planting "tall" tanks?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planting "tall" tanks??

Hello everyone. I've been into planted tanks for about 2 years now. I'd like to think i have done a good job but i've had a tough tank to work with.

I have a 37-40 gallon tall tank (forget actual displacement). It measures 30" wide by 12" deep and 24" tall.

The problems i face are that it is so tall and doesn't have as large of a footprint.

How do you guys plant a tank and succeed at getting growth at the upper levels without choking out plants below? I just rescaped my tank after successfully battling BBA and removed a lot of the broad leafed plants that were choking light to the bottom. I'll get some pics up tomorrow as i've shut the lights off for the evening.

I may be moving in several months so i've been tossing the idea of picking up a 125 gallon or a large tank with a wide footprint out of the want-ads and setting that up in my new home.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
It sounds like you have a light problem not a planting problem. What are you using for light?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 11:34 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
If you want a better footprint go for a 120, a 125 is as hard to work with as a 55 in my book. What kind of plants are you growing in the tank you have?

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 09:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Hmmm, my 37 is from All-Glass - it measures 30Wx12Dx22H. But, being off in height by 2" isn't gonna do that much.

At any rate, I see in your signature, that you are running DIY CO2.
When I first started with my 37 I was doing the same, and quickly realized, after adding the 5th bottle that I just couldn't get enough co2 in there. Went pressurized and never looked back.

I'd also like to know what lighting you are using on this? I've had nice growth even with blobs of riccia covering 40-50% of the surface.

What is your fert schedule like?

I agree that the tank is odd for planting, but I've grown some nice "taller" plants in there...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello again.

My problem isn't actual growth, i get plenty of it. The problem is aquascaping the tank in such a way where i can fill the upper level of the tank with plants and not block the light to lower level plants. I'm looking for tips in strategy basically. I am running about 80 Watts of light.

I used to have a LARGE amazon sword dead center of the tank. Leaves were maybe 18-20" in lenght. Well it would overhang and block light to lower plants like crypt wendtii and drawf sag and prevent it from growing. I would trim leaves back so they could get light and the lower plants would resume growing until the sword grew in and began blocking out the light.

I recently removed this sword and another that had been blocking all the light. Now my foreground consists of mostly dwarf sag, sag, crypt wendtii, a few apongeton and a nice anubias in the center. In the back, i planted a few vals and mostly stem type plants (4-5 species of which i forget the name right now)

As you can see, a lot of empty space up top that i'd like to fill. I still can add a few plants. I have some ideas for the right rear corner and i planted some val behind the driftwood left center that is out of sight right now. This is newly scaped so the growth is still small. Only original plant is the anubias dead center front. Hopefully it will grow like a jungle over the next few months.
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=806287

Here's a more closeup shot. You can see the tiny specs of baby java fern beginning to grow on the driftwood at the far left. These are growing from the roots of old fern i had removed. Hopefully it grows nicely
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=806288

I have thought of pressurized CO2 however i have decided to let that go until i get a larger displacement tank. For that tank, i'll do everything "right" so to speak and spend a good deal of time and research into setting up such as proper substrate, good equipment, better lighting and so on. This tank is something i just "threw up" 2 years ago and then tried to modify on the fly as i learned different things from this site. Hopefully it will allow me to set up a larger tank smoothly.

-Mike
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Ahhhh......welcome fellow tall tank enthusiast. Regardless to what some people will say, tall tanks were built for pleasing aquascapes. A common concern among some aquarists with short tanks is that their stem plants will get to the top very fast and require trimming. I also think that the increased viewing area is a bonus. I'm quite tall (6' 4") so I like my tanks to be higher up, anyway. As long as you carefully arrange plants and trim them accordingly, you shouldn't have a problem. A quick glance over the top of your water into the tank below should give you some perspective on this. I have lots of tall plants, nd I do not have a problem in my 37. But, as clone said, you may need a skosh more lighting as well. From the way it looks, however, I doubt you will have that much of a problem with them choking out light. Cross that bridge when you get to it. Forethought is good, and I admire that, but if a problem should occur, it will be an easily amended one. For now just focus on growing them up.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere138
From the way it looks, however, I doubt you will have that much of a problem with them choking out light. Cross that bridge when you get to it.
Well the problem was with a previous setup involving a few swords and other broad leafed plants. Unfortunately i do not have pics of that setup.

Hopefully the new one grows in better. Like i said, i'm using this tank to learn so i can set up a large displacement tank easily.

-Mike
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Hello again.
I am running about 80 Watts of light.
80 Watts seems a bit lean - 80Watts of any kind of light probably isn't gonna do it for a "tall" tank. I am running 130 over mine. What kind of lighting is that 80W made of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=806287
Here's a more closeup shot. You can see the tiny specs of baby java fern beginning to grow on the driftwood at the far left. These are growing from the roots of old fern i had removed. Hopefully it grows nicely
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=11130S5RAi&i=806288
Sorry, pics aren't working for me...are they OK?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry, my bandwidth for the month has been exceeded. SHoud refresh by the 4th or 5th of March.

The lighting is made of four T5 bulbs being overdriven. There are two ballasts driving 2 bulbs each. It could be more than 80W am i unsure. Stats on the ballasts escapes me right now and i would need to take my hood apart to read it.

-Mike
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Planted Member

I have a 110 gallon 30" tall tank. I find it difficult to plant especially since I have to get up on a step ladder since the tank is above my head. I empty 40 - 50% of the water just so I can get my arms in. I find it difficult to decide where to plant since the aquarium is only 18" wide. If I could go back I would have bought the tank that is 24" wide x 30" high x 48" long. I think that is a 125 gallon.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche_guy
I have a 110 gallon 30" tall tank. I find it difficult to plant especially since I have to get up on a step ladder since the tank is above my head. I empty 40 - 50% of the water just so I can get my arms in. I find it difficult to decide where to plant since the aquarium is only 18" wide. If I could go back I would have bought the tank that is 24" wide x 30" high x 48" long. I think that is a 125 gallon.
I agree. I do my planting at water changes. It makes it much easier to reach in and see what i am doing.

My tank is only 12" wide, so it's even tougher for me to figure where to put the plants without crowding the front.

Where can i find a list of tank dimensions? A 24" wide x 30" high x 48" long tank would suit me perfectly in the future

-Mike
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 01:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

AGA standard sizes are here:
http://www.all-glass.com/products/aq...standard.shtml

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks.

I think i'd like to focus on a 120gallon. I like it's dimensions

-Mike
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 01:43 AM
Planted Member

Here are charts and calc. to different aquarium needs: http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/bcorcalculators/

for aquarium sizes: http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dyn...Fabd_calcs.htm

110 gallon Discus tank
65 gallon Discus tank
30 gallon Discus tank
20 gallon standby tank
10 gallon quarantine

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode