Book about plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Book about plants

Hi all,
I am looking for a good book thats has great info on the many species of plants. Anyone have any suggestions? Where to buy from?
-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:13 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
IMO, if you want a book on plant varieties, the best book you can get is Kasselmann's "Aquarium Plants". You might have to spring about $50 to pick it up. But, I'm not aware of anything that comes close in regards to completeness.

If you look around a bit on the web, varying sites will occassionally run a deal. I'd check out this site's sponsors also. They get it in and discount it from time to time.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I absolutely agree. Get the Kasselman book, it's a wonderful reference.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Kasselman is great and in-depth. As a first book I would recommend the Aquarium Plant Handbook published by the Singapore based Aquarium plant company named Oriental which is a big player as a grower of plants in the industry, I believe. The book is ~184 pages with usually 2 to 4 plants listed per page. It has high quality color pictures (although they are not very large pictures... each plant is by itself in the photo) and some basic info like water chemistry and aquarium placement on each variety. There are probably more plants listed in this handbook than in C. Kasselmans. I have both books. Lowcoaster on Aquabid sells it as does the AGA I heard. Shipped it was under $30.00 from Charley who is known on Aquabid as "Lowcoaster". I really like it a lot. It is very practical. Amano does a forward and there is some good info in the introductory section... bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Last edited by Betowess; 03-02-2006 at 05:43 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 05:09 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS
IMO, if you want a book on plant varieties, the best book you can get is Kasselmann's "Aquarium Plants".
I agree 100%...Buck let me borrow this book last year, and it is the most in depth book I have read, over an over....Gives KH, GH, PH, Light reguirements etc...Its my Al Bundy book..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 05:36 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
This one from amazon.com, Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Paul Hiscock:

Funnily enough, after buying this book, I was then given the smaller abridged handbook version as a gift which is basically just an identical but more compact copy of it with all the same information and pics.

Kasselman's book is really the heavy-duty textbook type of plant encyclopedia. This one is more the colourful coffee-table type encyclopedia with lots of big pictures and nice layout design etc. Both are excellent in my opinion. I just find myself referring to Hiscock's more because it's easier on the eyes.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 02:51 PM
BSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrieger
This one from amazon.com, Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Paul Hiscock: ...
I have this one too. I pretty much read it cover-to-cover when I first got it. It has good info, but a number of the plant pictures are of emersed growth, and it seems like there was a plant or two that was mis-labeled. I do like this book. But, some of the issues are a bit annoying.

Betowess - I've not heard of the book you mention, but it does sound nice. I'll have to add it to my shopping list.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 07:38 AM

I just had another look at it and I actually have to agree with you. As pretty as the pictures are, a lot of the sword plants for example are shown in their emersed form with the round leaves that all look the same so it's virtually useless to get an idea of identifying how different they are from each other or even basically what they'll look like in your tank.

Funny how I never noticed that before. I guess it's because I already knew what the plant looks like submersed.

Now, I ask the obvious question: What's the bleeping point of doing an aquarium plant book that shows all the plants for people who want to keep and grow aquarium plants *in their aquariums* if you only show how the plants look when they're *not in an aquarium*??? What's the point of that? Can they simply not get good pics of submersed plants?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Yeah, but IMO, all in all Hiscock's book is first rate, especially for a beginner. Tank plans, water chem basics, and lots of info on a nice range of plants. I think in its class, as a book for a beginner/intermediate, its one of the best out there right now. The photography is really good. Its certainly a lot better than his sequel called "Aquarium Designs", which I thought was thrown together pretty fast and seemed like more of the same. I wish I had never bought that one, though there are some interesting ideas in "Aquarium Designs".

Regarding Kasselman, the only thing I don't really like about her academic text is that I have to spend a lot of time translating botanical terms that require looking them up in a dictionary or her glossary. For a schooled botanist, its probably pretty easy reading. It sure is interesting if a bit tedious at times. I do recommend the Oriental book. Its short and to the point and full of submersed photos ( well, I think they are submersed... I'm still a greenhorn here).

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 07:01 PM

Yep, all that stuff is great. The CO2 and light diagrams and all the rest of the great informative stuff is what makes it my favourite aquarium plant book.

I'm just dumbfounded as to why the use of pictures of plants in their emersed form? It actually looks like they're all professional studio shots, so maybe they just ordered one of everything from a supplier for the photo shoot and that's just what they were supplied with.

Speaking of slick photos, this one by Pablo Teboot is almost nothing but photos.

Big, full page crystal clear photos of all the plants. Very scanty information though, so even though it's called 'The Practical Guide', it's really not that practical. Just all glossy pics with a set of basic icons for each plant saying whether it's low/med/high light, fore/mid/background etc. A lot of the plants in this book are also shown in the emersed form as well, but at least it says 'shown emersed' or 'shown submersed' with each example. Often, they show both of the same plant, which is helpful.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 09:39 PM
BSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
Yeah, but IMO, all in all Hiscock's book is first rate, especially for a beginner.
I agree with you there. As I stated, I read it cover to cover .

Quote:
Regarding Kasselman, the only thing I don't really like about her academic text is that I have to spend a lot of time translating botanical terms that require looking them up in a dictionary or her glossary.
No arguments here either. I mostly use the book so I can look up latin names and so I can identify plants others are talking about. SOMEDAY, I'll sit down and actually try to understand all the descriptive terms to increase my knowledge in the field. But, that's not real high on the list.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (361/100%)
Looking for an update of a good reference book for aquarium plants. I have
Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants by Paul Hiscock but the plants listed is limited. Im looking for a more comprehensive one.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

I also like Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad. Lots of good information, but it is not a picture book and is more about what is going on in a planted aquarium, rather than a plant catalog.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode