No one likes scraping dust algae with a razor! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
No one likes scraping dust algae with a razor!

No one likes scraping dust algae with a razor. I imagine that there are many Pleco species that do a great job of glass cleaning. But I have never kept Plecos. Yet I have just stumbled upon a similar species which is supposedly omnivorous, however, I have only seen this little guy work wonders on glass algae that my seven Otos barely made a dent in. It is a little Hillstream Loach. I bought the more expensive reticulated variety because I liked the patterns. I have not found its species name yet. My wife likens this fish to a giant amoeba the way it has two strange suckers attached to the glass. I LOVE THIS FISH, and THE WAY IT WORKS!!

If you want to minimize algae scaping with a razor, get one or more of these little gems. They are said to like cooler water with a lot of current and smooth rocks. Mine is doing fine at 77 degrees with a lot of current, and it is fascinating to watch. They only get three inches long. I'm going to get at least two more and maybe they will school together and be happier. Two thumbs way, way up IMO!!

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

Last edited by Betowess; 03-11-2006 at 04:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I saw some at my LFS, but I was hesitant lest they display loach behavior I.E. eating shrimp. Do they eat shrimp, or are their mouths specialized for algae grazing? I didn't get a good look at them.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't think they would eat shrimp. Mine seems too small and it has a sucker mouth like an Oto. Maybe Cherries, but I don't see how it would be possible. My Amanos are fine and this sucker, no pun intended, stays stuck to the glass all the time devouring glass algae. Maybe I got a vegan! Also, I did read on another forum that if at higher temps, they need a lot of O2, hense the need for current.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 04:51 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Didn't I see this on another thread?!

Anyway, I think I'll go get one today at the fish street, just to check it out.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthy Ninja
Didn't I see this on another thread?!

Anyway, I think I'll go get one today at the fish street, just to check it out.
You did - in the fish section. But, over here in General Section there is always a lot more activity and I'm a sucker for any fauna that does my work for me and enhances a tank's bio diversity. I probably broke a forum rule for posting twice on a similar topic, but this fish merits some public relations, IMHO. I'm glad you're getting one. I am really excited about this aesthetically and physically fascinating species. And it cleans the glass to boot! And when it sits on the bottom, it looks like some kind of stealth algae bomber fish.

post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
You did - in the fish section. But, over here in General Section there is always a lot more activity and I'm a sucker for any fauna that does my work for me and enhances a tank's bio diversity. I probably broke a forum rule for posting twice on a similar topic, but this fish merits some public relations, IMHO. I'm glad you're getting one. I am really excited about this aesthetically and physically fascinating species. And it cleans the glass to boot! And when it sits on the bottom, it looks like some kind of stealth algae bomber fish.

Man, you sound like you're selling them.

I didn't go today because I forgot about something I needed to do, I will go tomorrow though. I have seen them about.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Betowess: what temp do you keep your tank at?
What kept me from buying them is that I've read they like cool, fast flowing, high O2 water.

With my lighting, my tank is usally around 78F. If you say they do well at that temp, then I might give them a try.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69
Betowess: what temp do you keep your tank at?
What kept me from buying them is that I've read they like cool, fast flowing, high O2 water.

With my lighting, my tank is usally around 78F. If you say they do well at that temp, then I might give them a try.

My temp is set at ~77F with two inline Hydors. I am sure it gets hotter when all T5s are running. I haven't kept any in the summer yet. On a British forum I read of people keeping them quite a bit hotter than 78F in the summer. They just need a lot of current/O2 if the temp. is hotter is what I have read. And assuming they are captive bred (which I don't know is the case) they probably have adapted more easily than wild caught stock. But mine seems perfectly comfortable at 77/78F. bob

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
I don't think they would eat shrimp. Mine seems too small and it has a sucker mouth like an Oto. Maybe Cherries, but I don't see how it would be possible. My Amanos are fine and this sucker, no pun intended, stays stuck to the glass all the time devouring glass algae. Maybe I got a vegan! Also, I did read on another forum that if at higher temps, they need a lot of O2, hense the need for current.
Can you double check if their mouth is like a sucker? I remember it to be like the shape of a stingray and use the fins as a suction cup to stick to the glass.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortFin
Can you double check if their mouth is like a sucker? I remember it to be like the shape of a stingray and use the fins as a suction cup to stick to the glass.
The mouth is on the bottom and the suckers are on the bottom front abdomen and rear abdomen and have a place in between to rotate a bit, which is kind of strange in itself. The fins extend over the suckers. Their mouths look almost exactly like Oto mouths, but I am writing this from my office (did I say that) so I'll look again at home tonight.

It does look kind of like a stingray, but not so wide. Pretty stealth bomber looking when they swim. I really like the reticulated variety!

They do like smooth stones, I read elsewhere. At the LFS they were stuck to some pumice type rock, so they must not be too picky. But most of the time mine stays stuck to my glass. Occasionally I have seen mine on some bogwood or laying on top of some Marselia, but not too often.

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
ive seen these guys alot and thought about getting them... my lfs always has them. next time i go ill probably get one or two. do you know if they are a social fish?

nice info!

-=- fish newb -=-
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, I am pretty sure they are. I haven't witnessed any aggresive behavior in my community tank. Mine seems to keep by itself, but I do believe like loaches and corys, they are best in groups of three or more. I'm going to get a few more myself.

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 11:30 PM

I had trouble keeping them at 77 degrees, but this might have had more to do wih lack of flow than temperature. Very cool fish.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Have always wanted to try these guys. Thanks to this post, I'm gonna start looking for a few. :P

Eric

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 01:18 AM

They can adjust to higher tempreatures I think. Like a lot of fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode