Algae Kicking My @$$ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algae Kicking My @$$

seriously i'm getting beat up pretty bad here. I've been @#&%$*&^ about my algae problem on here like crazy and have been trying to follow everyones instructions. Well nothing has worked yet. So i'll lay it all down again....70 gallon tank seachem flourite substrate...... 2x65 Watt CF light fixture both 6700K bulbs.....i have about 5 good size amazon sword and about 3 shoots that have just started coming out of gravel.....two pieces of java fern........6 discus....3 SAE and 3 agassizi cories.....one shrimp.....lights are on 10 hours a day and no there is no window close by.....i dose with flourish about twice a week and i have been afraid to try excell cause i didnt want CO2 to hurt discus but i will be trying now(will it really hurt them????). Algae is just the basic green crap all over the gravel and glass. Also looks like some stringy algae is starting to hang off leaves. Leaves are covered in like a greenish brown type algae, looks a little fuzzy(people keep saying might be BBA but i have no dam clue what BBA means because noone ever uses full name). I clean the tank from head to toe and algae is seriously back fully in like 3 days. My amazon are growing but very slowly. They look really brown and dark green. I recently bought one more and it was a lighter green then my plants. Java fern has not changed since December of 2005. Do you think I may not have enough plants in the tank???? maybe way to much nutreints????? I was afraid before that maybe my 2x65watt CF was maybe not enough so just to add a slight difference i took a 20 watt FL fixture from my old small tank and added a powerglow bulb and added it to the tank too. I just want something please lol??????? i'm going crazy and if it wasnt for all the money i spent on the flourite gravel i would go bare bottom tank for my discus. Please help I'm desperate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Does your algae look like this?
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/234620-post22.html
Through forum members help, I was able to get rid of most of this algae by upping my CO2, and doing a 50% water change. I haven't dosed ferts yet as the tank is still less than a month old.

You may also want to lessen your light cycle for a while.

75 Gallon - 4x65w PC, HP CO2, Eheim 2217 feeding Aquamedic 1000 CO2 Reactor, Fluval 404, 18w UV filter (for emergencies), Peat Moss, Flourite, Eco-Complete and Onyx Substrate
Planted Tank Photo Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

72 Gallon Bow Front Reef with 20 Gallon Sump, MH + PC Hood, Wet/Dry, Calcium Reactor, 11w UV filter (for emergencies)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
To start with Excel is NOT CO2. It's a substitute for CO2.

Second do you even know what your water parameters are? pH, kH, gH, NO3 levels would help a lot.

Describing algae as the basic green crap all over everything doesn't help us at all.

BBA stands for Black Brush Algae. Not always black but always appears in tufts.

IMHO you don't have enough FAST growing plants in the tank.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dont worry shago, algy has kicked my but a couple times too. Both you, and everyone else needs to know some basic things to diagnose a problem.

Do you test for ammonia or nitrite(your bio-load sounds a bit high)? Do you run co2, and if so what levles? Do you dose posasium, nitrate, or phosphate?

Other than that, your light is on the low side. If you want faster growth you'll have to up the wattage.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

alright ammo:0, PH:7.0, Nitrite:0, Nitrate:10, Ya i figured none of my plants were capable of growing fast. So what do you suggest for some fast growing plants??? No I do not run CO2 because I only want some low tech plants and I can't up my lighting much more because it will be to much light for my discus.... No my algae does not look anything like the one posted there.... mine looks like just green fuzz on the glass and on the gravel, also on the leaves there is brownish green fuzz looks kinda like the leaves are dirty, and no mine is not black. I constantly rub the algae off the leaves with my fingers then do a wc but it comes right back. I don't know what else to tell you i don't have a phosphate tester so I can't give you that reading. My bioload is fine you can't follow the inch per gallon rule for everything. Discus require 10 gallons each so that means 60 gallons are used up there. Then the 3 SAE will take up about 8 gallons and the 3 cories take up maybe 2 or 3 gallons.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
When you first start a planted tank you really need to cram in a lot of plants, especially fast growing stem plants, like Hygrophila difformis, or stargrass, or Ludwigia Repens. Those will use up the fertilizer, whether it is what you add or what the fish add, and will eliminate any ammonia very rapidly. Then, after a month or two the tank stabilizes a bit and you can change the plants a few at a time to what you really like. If you just use the two 65 watt PC lights you will have a low moderate lighted tank and you can possibly do without CO2, but if you do that, then the Seachem Excel would be good to add, although expensive for that big a tank. Try reading Rex Grigg's guide for much better information, easy to understand.

Hoppy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:52 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
I was about to give up but i bought a UVS instead and now, no algae. I used to scrub the glass daily, but now even the lights are on for 12 hours there's no sign of any algae, well, so far so good.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Wow! That's a lot of progress in 5 hours.

Hoppy
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
i'm glad these are going well, I know what it's like - there are days you just want to drop kick the tank out the window. I had a lot of different algae problems but mostly Black Brush Algae which has gone away now that I have added enough CO2. I fiddled around with every other variable before finally breaking down and getting a pressurized CO2 setup. Now I just have to wait for all the damage down to grow out and repair itself.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 03:56 AM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny
I was about to give up but i bought a UVS instead and now, no algae. I used to scrub the glass daily, but now even the lights are on for 12 hours there's no sign of any algae, well, so far so good.
UVS??? Is that aa Ultraviolet system? If this is correct money not very well spent. You should learn how to rid your algae with a balance of nutrients and not by mechanical means.

Algae is nothing more than a red flag indicating you have not been nice to your plants by feeding them what they need. NUTRIENTS!!!

This is what I use and have not any algae problems to be conserned about.

CSM+B - 1 teaspoon - 167mls water (prefer RO water)
KNO3 - 1 tablespoon - 250 mls water
K2SO4 - 5 teaspoons - 250 mls water
KH2PO4 1 teaspoon - 167 mls water.

The above ferts can be bought at http://www.gregwatson.com/

Mix them as indicated above.

Then use this calculator to determine the proper amount needed for your tank: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm.

Using these tools I am posting you will find your algae problem is not a problem at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 04:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I only want some low tech plants and I can't up my lighting much more because it will be to much light for my discus.
I've never heard of having too much light over a discus tank? I've seen some very high light discus tanks before, reaching the 4 watts per gallon, but I've never heard of too much light being a porblem. In nature doesnt the sun give off much more light than any pc can provide? I've never kept discus before, so maybe I'm wrong, but I dont think you can have to much light. All I know is that I've seen many stuning "high light" discus tanks before.

I also agree with aquaphish about the UV. Try to fined the root of the problem to fix your algy. However, as long as you have an UV steralizer you mine as well use it for the health of your discus. Your UV will probably only have an effect on green water. Nothing is more satisfying than having a perfictly ballanced tank, and if it were easy then it wouldnt be as satisfying.

Dont give UP!

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode