What's after achievement of your dream tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
What's after achievement of your dream tank?

So once you've managed to create huge high tech aquariums lush with healthy fish and plants what comes next? I've found that I'm always aspiring to create this idea of my dream tank but once you have it all does your interest continue or does the hobby dull down?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A second large lush planted aquarium......
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
+1 haha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

|
|

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
A massive room full of high tech nano tanks. I like nanos better anyway.

ADA Gentleman #1

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 03:40 AM
Planted Member

believe me MTS is a bad disease..:P you can never stop! the moment you get one big success one looks forward to a new concept! that's true for me..!

Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
My "dream tank" constantly evolves and changes. Maybe that's my way to keep interest in the hobby. I started out with a 5 gallon tank and Guppy's as a kid, then freshwater Angels, Mbuna's, Tropheus Duboisi, Freshwater rainbows, Saltwater with damsels and yellow tangs, a large 220 gallon with saltwater angels like the French and Navarchus (Majestic Angel), to reef tanks with live rock and corals, and finally to my high-tech planted tank. Oddly, I'm thinking a planted tank of colorful guppys would be gorgeous, sort of back to where I started 30+ years ago. So for me, the dream changes and that's what keeps the hobby "fresh" for me.

Shrimp....hmmmm, haven't tried those yet.....(leaves to begin Google searches for shrimp stuff)......

Finnex Club #12
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
my dream tank: a 12L shadow panda tank. The tank arrives tomorrow.
My goal after that? Cross shadow bees to blue bots for larger and darker blues and breed bolts selectively until I get 100% blue coverage. After that? Pintos. After that? Cross pinto's to bolts to get blue headgear on pintos. I could go on and on!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i went for breeding fish that have never been bred, raising fry that have never been raised, testing methods that have never been tried, etc.

i just keep myself busy.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
My dream tank goes along with my dream house. I want to build a tank into the wall so that its visible from both sides. This will be a huge tank (not sure how big yet). In it I want a mini ecosystem with emmersed plants and reptiles. The land will slope down to the water that will have nano fish and dwarf shrimp.

Ah some day...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

forum member energy and two other tanks are at the tippy top of my dream tank list.

1. Frontosa Blue Zaire breeding colony
1. planted discus
1. energy's complete ecosystem 15ft monster

It's hard to pick between the three

after each of these tanks have been achieved... back to google!

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Whatever your accomplishments, there's always another challenge.

This past year I tried out four new substrates, twenty new plants, five new fish species, two new shrimp and three snails, did no-tech and low-tech, a variety of light systems (my first LEDS were this year) and a range of filters, set up 30 pico/micro tanks and started selective breeding/culling of my neos to develop my own variations (chocolate, blue, wine and clear) and learned a ton about fertilizing at different light levels.

I learned to make my own shrimp foods and how to force a variety of plants into smaller growth sizes for use in pico tanks, expanded the types of wood and stone I use in my hard scapes, and found out firsthand how annoying duckweed can be.

I've got four tanks in development, two that need to be torn down and re-scaped, just consolidated three pico tanks into a single planted vase, and--thanks to a rescue red claw crab falling into my hands--am scrambling to ensure its health and happiness.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
only thing holding me back is space. not enough space in the house. well there is space. but nowhere that would be perfect for it. since my dream tank is like 400-500 gallons. no point of putting a dream show tank in the garage
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
my dream tank: a 12L shadow panda tank. The tank arrives tomorrow.
My goal after that? Cross shadow bees to blue bots for larger and darker blues and breed bolts selectively until I get 100% blue coverage. After that? Pintos. After that? Cross pinto's to bolts to get blue headgear on pintos. I could go on and on!

why do i feel like this is going to lead to shrimp with "fricken lazorbeams"

I don't have a clear progression in mind, myself. we started a planted tank for ease of operation. I saw the plants as little green filters. recently, my wife got me back into research after suggesting that she would buy me a tank and pea puffer. the more i read, the more i'm actually appreciating plants for what they look like, rather than what they do. I anticipate a more scaped set of tanks, if not a larger tank or two in my future.

i've always been enticed by saltwater as well, so i might take a shot at that. Initially, i picked up a biocube 8 gallon with the intention of putting shrimp in it, which i still might do, since it seems it is probably a bit on the small side for a first time salt water tank.

i guess like others have said.. changing goals. ciclid tank. rainbow tank. 10,000 gallon shark tank.

ok, probably not 10,000. think 5,000 would be enough?
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No... nver can be big enough.

pmcarbrey: how long until you will sell some of those?

ADA Gentleman #1

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
For me it's refining the aquascape allowing it to morph. Followed by maintaining it over time.

This is a active "living art" hobby, getting it to "aquariums lush with healthy fish and plants " is only an intermediate step. Keeping to going over time at that high quality level is/should be the true goal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode