The 30g COMPLETE teardown and Riggity-Rescape (journal 56k)UPDATE APRIL 1 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
The 30g COMPLETE teardown and Riggity-Rescape (journal 56k)UPDATE APRIL 1

This was a huge project for me. I ended up removing all the old gravel, and completeley started over. All opinions welcomed

This was my old tank. I worked hard on it for the past 5 months

another shot of it

then i said, "time to tear it down" what a task

YEAH!!! all the plants are out

All the water is gone and I am left with all the good gooie MULM and a little old gravel. This is about 1/4 inch of old water and mulm.

a little bit of peat-moss will do the trick

One bag of UNWASHED flourite topped with 12TBS of laterite

3 more bags of washed flourite and timelapse miracle. And here is the beginning of the left side of my 30g rescape with more pics to come soon. have to wait till all the stuff grows out.

heres a pic of my cutie Double red Cac fry. Hes about a little less then an inch

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.

Last edited by Ryzilla; 04-02-2006 at 04:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:55 AM

PTrader: (28/100%)
I really feel your pain, you probably invested 5-8 hours doing all that?

Hopefully you don't get any huge nitrite/ammonia spikes from teh loss of all that bacteria . . . . I lost a couple rams doing the same thing!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nicely done! No Flourite cloud .

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 04:25 PM

I think the fluorite cloud was taken care of by the
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzilla
timelapse miracle
Looks real good, too, by the way!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Wow! I'm almost inspired to switch out my plain old gravel now! It looks good!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looks much better, i've gone through so many substrate changes, its hard to believe.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like

I love your red/green contrasts as well as the rocks. They will look very cool when it fills in

Im also doing the same thing. Im going from a 29 to a 55. My 55 looks SOO bare now where as the 29 looked so over crowded. Now... if only I could time lapse to see if things will look out 3 months from now.. hehe.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Are you planning on a 'scape when it fills in or are you continuing with the whole slope thing you have going on?

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere138
Are you planning on a 'scape when it fills in or are you continuing with the whole slope thing you have going on?
I was planning on a slope for the 2/3rds of the tank that is presently being shown. There will be a small space after the slope for riccia and HC then it will slope hard back up. this is my plan but I am unsure of how well it will look. The plants that are not being shown on the right are: Hygro polysperma(giant), Camboba Furcata, pygmy chainsword, anubias nana, crypt lutea, and crypt wendtii red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
I really feel your pain, you probably invested 5-8 hours doing all that?

Hopefully you don't get any huge nitrite/ammonia spikes from teh loss of all that bacteria . . . . I lost a couple rams doing the same thing!
Yes it took me close to 5 hours at a super fast pace. I had to have it all cleaned up by the time my fiancee got home.

The spikes were not an issue because I have an army of baby red ramshorns in there and pond snails. They gave a sufficient bioload for the 3 weeks that nothing was in it. I also seeded my filstar with filter floss from my emperor 400 from my other tank. Spikes were almost unoticable for the 3 weeks.

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

here are some more updated pics of how my new tank is coming along.

This is the WHOLE front shot!! The right side was anavailable before due to how horrible it looks. Then I said to myself " These guys/gals deserve to see it"

Here is a corner shot to get a little different perspective

This is the Left side of the tank. Im still trying to figure out if I like the long sloped scape I am going for.

Here is the right side which is currenty the grow out side. There is hygro polysperma(gaint) and furcata growing, as well as little pieces of sunset hygro that are nor growing fast enough. I also just recieved some weeping moss so I made the weeping boulders that I put in today.

Once again all opinions are welcome.

Peace,
Ry

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Other than flattening the gravel (and that's just what personally do for aeshthetic reasons) I have to say it looks good. I would say to add foreground plants, but it appears you will have one in good time when the plants grow out. Great job.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well I have rearanged my tank. Not much rearanging but still took some time. With out further ado, my tank.

This is the left side. I have added the Windelov, the rocks at the bottom left and the nana petite

This is the right side. I have split the Anubian nan 6 times and spread it out. There is a HC forground frowing in, pygmy chain backround and infront of that is lava rocks covered in FISA weeping moss. The ambulia in the corner is growing in, it went through a massive trim and uproot and is not happy with me at the moment.

Here is a middle shot which best displays the downoi, nana petite, winelov, and walachii.

The corner shot perspective. It should be at more of an angle?

Now for the money shot and let the comments begin.

Peace,
Ry

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 04:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
The tank is lookin really good. I especially like the downoi.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 04:24 PM

Coming a long way since the rescape already! I like it a lot . . . . but where'd the ALt. Reinecki go???? I really liked the splash of deep red. Is it just buried?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
Coming a long way since the rescape already! I like it a lot . . . . but where'd the ALt. Reinecki go???? I really liked the splash of deep red. Is it just buried?
I did a trim about 2 weeks ago. The Reinecki doesnt grow very fast when I trim it. The red should be coming through in a month or so. I do feel like I am laking red's at the moment. I just cought a bunch of rotala walachii so that should add some color as soon as it grows out.

Peace,
Ry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode