Co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2

Ok I'm just understanding this now. I looked at the web page http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/articles.htm its vary helpfully. One problem he says add stuff to bring the kh up. I have been tough not to alter the water in any way leave it natural. To mess around with it will give you problems. i am not going to add co2 yet till i start working then buy the tank and defibulater later.

does anyone have there kh ph and how much co2 they put in give me some of there numbers. I have a 112g tank so if you can match this it be great. its ph is 8.4 temperature is 86f. I have to buy the kh test kit.

so please send in some numbers if you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 06:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
You will need to know the ph and kh to calculate co2. With a ph of 8.4 your kh should be around 22 degrees give or take. If this is correct, you would want to shoot for a ph of 7.3-7.4 for good co2 levels. You could probably make due without an expensive defibulater, use a regulator instead.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

shoot I ment a ph of 7.3- 7.4 I have no idea why i put 8.4 I was up late probly being dumb.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Planted Member

You really need to test your KH. If it is above 3 or 4 degrees then you don't have to bring it up. Knowing your pH and KH will give you your CO2. Most people shoot for a CO2 level of 30ppm.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So co2 is carbon and carbon living creatures can't breath that. but plants love it. am I right so far?

when I do, do the test and get the right amount that i cut in. how do you know its the right amount like you can't see it feel it or anything. you said something about 30ppm like when its incerted into thhe tank are they seprit molicules for the plants?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
You're right CO2 is something that we animals can't breath in large amounts without dying.

Plants love to take up injected CO2 and take the Carbon (C) and release the oxygen(O2).

You usually know when you have the right amount of CO2 in your tank based on that chart comparing KH and pH. When your pH drops to the level you want which is 30 ppm then you don't have to increase your CO2 bubble injection but just maintain it so it doesn't fall or increase.

How you maintain it depends if you're running CO2 DIY or pressurized.

Best of Luck!

the KK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so if i add co2 my ph will go down?

isn't the fluxtuations bad for discus.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
once you set the amount of CO2 you're putting into the tank (so many bubbles per second or minute), then you just leave it alone. Then you pH and KH and CO2 is pretty constant. You'll want to check your KH every so often especially if your tapwater is low KH or if you're using RO water. You'll want to make sure that your KH is around 3-4 °dKH (55-70 mg/L) so that you have enough buffering in the water to keep the pH nice and stable. If you need to raise the KH a little, just add small amounts of baking soda. If you have hard tapwater, you may never need to worry about it since you replenish the buffering every time you do a water change.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (47/100%)
add CO2 will make your pH go down..why? Because there's a reaction that releases carbonic acids (making your pH go down and more acidic).

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ph shifts aren't good for discus. Is it a big shift or is it like .2 ph?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 02:34 AM
Planted Member

It's not pH shifts that are bad, it's the change in dissolved solids that stress fish. Usually when there is an increase or decrease in pH there is also an increase or decrease in dissolved solids. But when injecting CO2 the total dissolved solids don't change so the fish are not stressed.

Typically your pH will drop around 1.0 to get to 30 ppm. I know many people that have planted discus tanks that also inject CO2. Thier discus are just fine.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

even after the tank is settle for a cuple months then put the co2 in?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 06:07 AM
Planted Member

Yes after the tank has been set up. If you are concerned about it inject the CO2 slowly so you only change 0.1 or 0.2 every few days.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok thats good to hear so i slowly incress the c02 in. I wasn't sure if it be healthy or not.

I'm estimating that it will be about 300$ for the whole co2 the tank and regulaters. To be fully operational, am I missing anything? Like its just a tank, valves, regulator, and the mixer what ever you call it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode