New to this (a little help) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to this (a little help)

Ok Im still really new to plants in my tanks (unless you wount algae, if so im a freaking pro) but I picked up some plants for my tanks and since I was new im not sure what to do about this one thing.

I got some anacharis and it was bunched together with a heavy band on the bottom. is that band safe for my tanks or do I need to take it off?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Check out this site, and see if you have a clue about what to do.
http://www.aquariumfish.com/aquarium...=Plants&cid=58
It's very broad, but has a lot of information.
Quote:
I got some anacharis and it was bunched together with a heavy band on the bottom. is that band safe for my tanks or do I need to take it off?
You can keep it on if you want. non-toxic (as the puffer that's my avatar).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justterry
Ok Im still really new to plants in my tanks (unless you wount algae, if so im a freaking pro) but I picked up some plants for my tanks and since I was new im not sure what to do about this one thing.

Thanks in advance

Hi -- I was like you a year ago! Anacharis and Hornwort was my first 2 plants, and I still carry on today plants from those same clippings!!!

the heavy band is most likely lead, I remove it. I would plant each stem individually in the tank.

Also, double check to make sure that you have atleast 1.5 wpg of flourescent lighting. Incandecent lighting is completely different and is not suitable in most cases. for instance, if you have a 20 gallon aquarium and your aquarium has a 15w 24" flouresent light, you should pickup antoher one of those and you will then have 30w of lighting, for 1.5wpg. your plants will grow much, much better with 1.5wpg versus .75wpg. I struggled and struggled tokeep anacharis alive, it just kept dying. Whenever I finally got enough light it took off.

The rest is history.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah I figured it was lead so i removed it. I planed so in groups of two or three and others as singles. I dont know about watts per gallon I have two floursent lights over each tank and it is pretty bright. IF it is enough that kool if not well not much i can do about it at the moment, if it doesnt grow well or dies then I will have to get more light
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have anacharis, and they grw so much, I just let them folat and they grow like crazy. I don't know why, but I have never had an algae problem or sickness in all the years that I've had fish.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Anacharis doesn't need a lot of light. I used to grow it and hornwort like crazy in a 55 with 80 watts of NO flo. lights.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:05 AM

PTrader: (27/100%)
Don't bunch them together and plant them, spread them out to 1 stem and plant them 1"+ apart, that will help them get more light and won't get their stem smush. I had trouble growing Anacharis, they need more light then most people think, not as much as some red plants, but they need enough, and an aquarium light strip just won't make the cut. I live in texas and these thing taking over the river because of the sunlight they receive. Another plant you might like is Hygrophila Polysperma, its easier to grow then anacharis.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode