a lot of first tank questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
a lot of first tank questions

Ok so I want to start a planted tank, I have a 125 gallon long that im going to use wih an 1800gph pondmaster, the tanks going to be in my bedroom so I need it to be quiet as possible. Research says go for the herbie system. Ok, now I want to drill my tank so what size drill bit and bulkhead should I use for a tank that size? and should I do the return hob or drilled aswell? Is plexi ok to use for making overflow walls? Also how much space do I need in overflow to fit herbie . And for a tank my size do I need two overflows? Meaning a herbie main, and emergency IN Each? Also ive read that bioballs as filtration in sump may use up nutrients that the plants need is this true? Any suggestions how I should have my sump set up?

Im planning on using miracle grow topped with kittylitter, and I want to make mounds in the corners possibly using plastic carbord from the art store ans "substrate support" but im scared cuz ive read horror stories of miracle grow being to thick which created an anerobic trap or something and killed evrything...anybody have problems mqking mounds with miracle gro ? I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
"what size drill bit and bulkhead should I use for a tank that size?"
I am running 1" PVC on my 125 gallon tank and it is barely enough, but I am not running a bean animal system. 1" PVC might be plenty for that (better) system. So go get the bulkheads and see what size drill bit they call for.

"Is plexi ok to use for making overflow walls?"
Plexi is hard to unite to glass. I would really seriously try to use glass. Silicon works great connecting glass to glass. Also, 125 gallon (6' long) is a long run, you might want some mid-tank bracing in the overflow.

"Also how much space do I need in overflow to fit herbie?"
Depends on the pipe size. Figure that out, then go buy stuff like the elbows and bulkheads. Do a dry run, perhaps using a cardboard box as a tank, and test fit some more cardboard as an overflow.

"And for a tank my size do I need two overflows?"
If you decide to use 2, then I would duplicate the whole set up: 3 pipes in each set up.
"Meaning a herbie main, and emergency IN Each?"

"Also I've read that bioballs as filtration in sump may use up nutrients that the plants need is this true?"
Nitrifying bacteria will grow on any surface (bio balls, sponges, floss, poret mats, lava rock and more). They have a great capacity for removing ammonia, but they turn it into nitrate. Plants can use ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as sources of nitrogen.
So, yes, bioballs (and anything else that houses nitrifying bacteria) will "remove" or "Use up" ammonia, one form of nitrogen that plants use.

But which would you rather have in the tank:
Ammonia? Nitrite? (dead fish)
Nitrate? (and live fish).
I think the horrible comments about filters being 'nitrate factories' are missing the point. If all that ammonia was NOT getting turned into nitrate what kind of tank would that be?

"Any suggestions how I should have my sump set up?"
Only that if you can cover it (seal it) you will conserve injected CO2.

"I'm planning on using miracle grow topped with kittylitter..."
Skip the kitty litter. Use Safe T Sorb, Turface or similar. The color is nicer (unless you like white to off white)

"...mounds in the corners... anaerobic trap or something and killed everything...anybody have problems making mounds with miracle gro?"
Thriving plants will ADD oxygen to the substrate via their roots. This will minimize anaerobic pockets, so keep the plants growing well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode