Has anyone attempted a very long custom aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
Has anyone attempted a very long custom aquarium?

I was thinking about something medicine man said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman
Now why are there more and more large displacement tanks these days?
I would like to see a tank that was about 20' (foot) long, by 24" width and about 18-24" high... I think having a super long tank, you could really make some interesting enviroments, even multiple environements in the tank itself. Lets see how many gallons that tank would be ..

20'x2'x2' = 600 gal.. is my math right?

It would be nice to have a current in it sorta, not much but some thats even noticeable. Has anyone done or attempted anyhing like this?.

You could even have shallow parts in it where you artificially build up the substrate with plexiglass or something..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Ambition is wonderful! From a 29 gallon to a 600 gallon in one step! There would be a few problems, possibly the biggest would be keeping that long tank from bending in the middle. The floor under it would have to be very well framed and supported to avoid flexing under the load and the loads from the dozen or so people who could easily crowd around it. Then, you would need a bigger wallet than I have, just for the light - a kilowatt or so, not to speak of the number of plants required and the bags of substrate. Lastly, for me the impossible hurdle would be persuading the Missus that such an addition would be a decorating must. Oh, and the weekly pruning - set aside about 8 hours for that.

Hoppy
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
Ground floor definitily. If you used a lot of fast growing plants you could plant parts of it now, and keep spreading your prunes to fill it up over a few months.

I remember watchign HGTV some months ago and this guy had a planted tank built into his wall, more or less a divider between his livingroom/dinning room. The tank was huge and it had to have been atleast 8' long... Imagine keeping some arrowanas or some large catfish in these tanks that would eat our neons for snacks heh..

ahh yes, this is wh at dreams are made of, no?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode