CO2 injection = god - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
CO2 injection = god

OK soooooo after a year of debating with myself last week i went and I got a Hagan co2 system and set it up in the aquarium, I also got some Flourish fertalizer.. Well, after a week I can say that my plants have grown more in the past week than they have in the past month. I took some water wisteria and anacharis clippings to the local fish store today... my amazon sword is picking up and looking healthy, my dwarf sag is starting to grow 10-15 little plantlets at the base of each plant.. And my fish are seemingly happy -- all execpt for one who's very, very pregnent and the males refuse to leave her alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:20 PM

PTrader: (28/100%)
Good to hear! Welcome to the wonderful world of co2 injection. It's only a matter of time now until you convince yourself to invest in pressurized Could be months, could be years, but it's bound to happen!

Got a shot of your tank?

Also, are you using the little container that comes with the system? HOw often are you planning on refilling the mixture? Are you using the yeast packets that came iwth it?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

The aquascaping is not that good in pictures, but I like looking at it up close. The big feild of Hygrophila difformis in the center right is covering a 5" deep 1" high cave -- i had hoped to have it for the shrimpies, but i dont know if anything is using it at.. The front of is is hidden from sight due to a growth of hornwort. There is a peice of drift wood that you can not even see now because of the plant growth.

Quote:
Also, are you using the little container that comes with the system? HOw often are you planning on refilling the mixture? Are you using the yeast packets that came iwth it?
Yes -- It seems sturdy! I setup a compeltely DIY system for my 20gal fishless tank however, just a pepsi bottle with airline tubing into the HOB filter intake.

I am using 1/4th tblspoon fleishmans bread yeast, a small amount of baking soda, and sugar to the line in the hagen container. I am getting 1 bubble every 4 seconds, and by the time it reaches the top of the ladder (asusming a snail doesnt get in the way and stop the bubble!!! ARG) its almost completely disolved.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 07:13 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
nice tank...be careful, that ww will soon overgrow and hide that Java in the rear
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian
nice tank...be careful, that ww will soon overgrow and hide that Java in the rear
My WW stays very low to the substrate.. is there a reason behind this? I have seen pictures of it growing upwards, but mine lays flat, like a carpet.

Also for trimming and pruning purposes with WW.. whats the best way to trim it, take chunks of plant out and let it grow up from the base? trim the tops off?

Also.. I know that I am not pushing the CO2 envelope so to speak, so would small does with flourish excel have any effect still?

I am using standard flourish fertilizer 1/3rd of the suggested weekly amount, twice a week at the moment.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Excel will definitely help because you're probably still not going to have a lot of CO2 in your tank. I loved the ladder thingie in Hagen's system but I didn't like the container since it was so small. To put things in perspective, I have a 25 gallon tank that I had two 2-liter soda bottles on (going into a powered internal reactor), filled with slow growers and no stem plants. I still had problems getting enough CO2, causing algae problems and poor growth of my plants. It wasn't until I went to pressurized that my tank took off. But of course, pressurized systems are a bit of an investment so not everyone can just get everything they need right away.

If I were you, I would think about adding another bottle of DIY CO2 and supplement everyday with a little Excel.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:06 AM

Hygrophila Difformis gets its name from the way it grows. It never grows uniformly but in a "deformed" fashion. Mine grows like a tall bush with all kinds of off shoots and needs to be thinned (ripped) out from time to time before it gets too invasive. But I don't know why your's grow stunted that way...they sure look healthy in the pic...give them time.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

You can see how the water wistera and anacharis have taken off..

more here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...ng-around.html
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 06:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Lookin' good. I'd also say to give the Wisteria some time. I have it also and sometimes after I majorly prune it, it takes soem time to recover, but watch out! I've let it go a couple weeks without trimming before and it tends to literally take over the entire front/middle area on the left side of my 20g, completely blocking my foreground (glosso) of light. You need to stay on top of it. Good growth on everything though -- your anachris grows bent over and I'm not sure if that's natural for it to do that, but my cabomba always did the same thing, so I dunno...As one of the previous people said...just wait until you need something bigger and better for your Co2 system! (pressurized, I mean). When I started with plants, I first used the 2 liter bottle yeast mixture, then after a year or so, I broke down and bought a 10 lb Co2 canister and cheap regulator/needle valve combo. Then, a few years later, I bought a nicer one with a bubble counter and solenoid that I use today Watching the plants grow faster from Co2 injection gets addicting. Way to go and good luck!
-Ryan

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SAPS member -
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

120ppm (6.7) KH, and a PH of 6.8... I was getting fairly saturated with CO2 today, so aparantly my CO2 setup is doing very well. I noticed at one point my head and tail light tetras were not getting enough O2, so i lifted the spraybar slightly to make some surface disturbance and they stopped suckinjg air at the surface..
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
That the general rule regarding Co2 injection. Keep turning it up until the fish gasp for breath and then back off a tad.

90g journal:

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringram
That the general rule regarding Co2 injection. Keep turning it up until the fish gasp for breath and then back off a tad.
Maybe if you have pressurized, but not so easy with a sugar/yeast mixture setup!

Tanks is looking quite a bit fuller! Keep it up.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 04:31 PM

Solace, I was reading a past post about ww and it stated that it will grow horizontally like that under bright light, making it a good foreground plant.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian
Solace, I was reading a past post about ww and it stated that it will grow horizontally like that under bright light, making it a good foreground plant.
Wow whats it going to do when i double my light next week
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace
Wow whats it going to do when i double my light next week
I hate to be a nay-sayer, but I'd be REAL careful doing this, with DIY co2. I would almost GARUNTEE that you will run into nutrient shortage(s), including co2 and probably macros/micros. Just be ready to deal with some algae.

I would definitely suggest "staggering" the two lights, with different timers. that way you would only have 130 watts of light on for like 2/3 hours during the day, not 12!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode