Economics 101: Get free stuff when you can - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 12:23 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Economics 101: Get free stuff when you can

I've been looking at rocks/slate for not only my planted tank, but also for building the cave system for my 46G cichlid tank. I just couldn't see spending $3.00/pound that a lot of places around here were asking. Then I talked to a guy who comes into my store quite a bit and he was telling me about a place you can go around here leading up to a quarry where there's literally piles of slate along the road.

Today, the wife and I decided to check it out. The first two roads were closed off and posted with no trespassing signs. We were about to give up when we saw a back road. We drove up a mile or so, and there was the motherload. Light was starting to fade, so loaded what we could in about 15 minutes. Here's our treasure in a 30 gallon tub:

Need to do quite a bit of cleaning on it, but well worth the trip for us. We're thinking of heading back later this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 12:44 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Many years ago, this is what we did when we built a waterfall for my grandmothers Koi pond. We drove to the mountains and collected pieces off the side of the road where they had blasted through. We got many large pieces that were 100 lbs plus.

Canít do that anymore. All the rock is cleared and I often wonder if it all went to someones backyard or fish tank. Then again, even though the rock cause no problems for my grandmothers pond, I wonder if I would use any if there was any left. The thought of it sitting for 20 years in exhaust and oil would make me want to leave it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 04:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Looks a lot like what I have around my pond... Backroads leading to creeks out in the county... Beautiful rocks!! And definitely the right price!!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Free is good, in fact it is one of the best four letter words!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 03:45 PM

PTrader: (11/100%)
Wont slate and or shale disolve in the water of aquariums? I always thought slate to be a very soft rock that wouldnt last long submerged.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace
Wont slate and or shale disolve in the water of aquariums? I always thought slate to be a very soft rock that wouldnt last long submerged.

Ever hear of a slate roof?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Shale is much softer than slate. I doubt that the shale that was the bedrock behind the house I used to own would last a week submerged. And, my impression of it, from playing around with the chunks from the pool diggers efforts, was that it contained a bit of petroleum.

Hoppy
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
There are oil bearing shale deposits. But most shale doesn't contain any petroleum.

Shale is a pretty broad category. You can have shale with a very high amount of carbonates or have it with none.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (95/100%)
We have a lot of road that are dug out of hills. On either side of the road you will find slate lining the walls. I have been so temped to go out and load up, but I' m afraid someone will see me and I'll end up arrested.
your so lucky.

Cynthia

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode