Cutting tops of P. stellata? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Question Cutting tops of P. stellata?

I have read a thread in the past about it being best to not cut the tops of stellata, as the whorls will progressively get smaller. So I am wondering if some of you do top cut with no ill effect. I would much rather not have to pull out the root mass, cut it off and replant with a weight on... the current will float these fast grower's tops in a heart beat after the bottom is cut off, unless they are weighted down. TIA bob

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Stellata can be tempermental, it is rated difficult, and can be, if condition's are not right. other than that it is just like any other stem plant, trim and replant any way you choose, but as far the whorl getting smaller? I have never seen that in my 3+ years of keeping it, I would attribute that to lack of nutrient's/C02/stunting.
If a stem of this plant float's for very long at all, it will curl and become almost useless.
https://www.plantedtank.net/images/plants/1012/65.jpg

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Great! Out come the sizzors, because mine is growing like crazy. Thanks Craig.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 06:53 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
It's a weed so top away.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 01:18 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've only been growing this plant for a couple of months, and, tho it seems to be coming along well, I have no experience trimming the tops. Sorry.

But if I may piggyback on your thread, I have been having issues with the other end. Mine don't seem to be developing roots in the substrate. As such, they float easily. And the bottom end of the stem was soft.

So I trimmed the bottom portion and replanted, using weights. They seem to form roots readily a couple of inches above the substrate.
Any thoughts?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have cut off the top and replanted them a few times. It loses its look that it had while growing for me and has these stunted tips but it procceds to branch off of that stem like nuts. I would just throw my tips away now and let them bottom portion shoot up new stems.

Macranda Farmer of the
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 04:59 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eds
But if I may piggyback on your thread, I have been having issues with the other end. Mine don't seem to be developing roots in the substrate. As such, they float easily. And the bottom end of the stem was soft.

So I trimmed the bottom portion and replanted, using weights. They seem to form roots readily a couple of inches above the substrate.
Any thoughts?
Here's my thoughts. The bottom of the stem is getting damaged somehow. Perhaps the instrument (finger tips?) you are cutting the stems with is not sharp enough? Or you're squeezing the bottom too tightly when replanting? Or perhaps your substrate is too compact? I've been using weights for a while. And mine sometimes get mushy at the bottom, and it's usually when I pinch the weight too hard.

Now if you're losing the bottom foliage...that's another story .
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 11:14 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have the broad leaf and i cut the top and it had shoots all around the tip.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This plant is such a fast grower, I'll probably have the replant every so often, but at least top cutting is much easier and I'll do that 3 or 4 times before I replant. I do think the whorls will get a little smaller. Seems I read that in Kasselman's book or here on a thread, But so what. Its a nice plant anyway you look at it.

eds, my plant took a few months before it really kicked into gear, then WAM, off she went. And thanks everyone for their input.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 12:55 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Thanks.
The last time I replanted floating stems, I noticed that the stems were much fleshier than most of my other plants, and seemed fragile. I tend to not be the most careful planter, jamming things into the substrate with my fingers, and I realized the likelihood of crushing/bruising the stems.
If I have similar problems in the future, I may trim the bottoms up to where the roots start, and carefully excavate and plant.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode