Anyone else burnt out on seeing Amano style tanks copied so hard? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Anyone else burnt out on seeing Amano style tanks copied so hard?

Seems like every tank these days is just another Amano clone. Iwagumi style does nothing for me to begin with, seems very contrived. A few big rocks, black substrate, and a carpet of HC. Beaten to death if you ask me. I love the more creative style builds in the Tank Journal section, there are some really cool tanks there. The nano iwagumi style tanks are a trend that should end!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Anyone else burnt out on seeing Amano style tanks copied so hard?

I find it trite when copies of the same design are created such as sand pathways. Iwagumi has been a style of design since before aquariums even came about. The three rocks parallel to the triad of divinities in the buddhism religion. All art will be redundant at one point. It's not just a style, it's a category just like saltwater and freshwater.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I always love seeing a different style planted tank, something uncommon or just different. Not that I have any issues with very nice Iwagumi Amano style tanks, but they have been done quite often. I think many just do not have the confidence or the internet database for building something 'off the grid' per se. Seeing some of the biotope tanks in the AGA contest website can certainly spawn ideas and angles many had not previously thought of.

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" Desiderius Erasmus

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (45/100%)
What more creative styles are you referring to?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
The vast majority of students in any discipline will hone their skills copying proven styles--whether it's wood carving, glass blowing, knitting or aqua scaping. Like student painters copying previous era's styles--it builds firsthand knowledge and understanding (hopefully) of techniques and aesthetics.

For many, it stops there. They find a particular subset that appeals to them and spend their time exploring and refining the details of that aesthetic or technique. Or they find themselves content to follow "patterns" laid out before them--reproducing rather than doing original work. And that's fine--it's a comfortable place and a lot of folks get tremendous personal satisfaction doing just that.

For others, it's the launching point to define their own aesthetic or to push the envelope in how far a style or technique can be taken, manipulated and evolved.

In the end, I'd have to question why--assuming they aren't sharing living space with you--anyone else's aquascaping choices should be influenced by your preferences? It's like someone who designs original crochet patterns being upset that thousands of people a day still make traditional granny-square afghans; not everyone is a grand innovator, or needs to be one.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
What's really beaten to death: the whole premise of the original post.

If you don't like a particular tank style? Don't use it and don't look at it.

This dead horse is closed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode