Absolute Worst Case Scenario - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Absolute Worst Case Scenario

Post ice storm in Western Michigan...had to evacuate my house. No power for 3 days and the temps only getting as high as 9 degrees F today. Sitting here at the in-laws with a bucket of what is left of my fish. Lost my 20 emerald -eyed rasbora, my angels, my cherry shrimp, and my rams. I have two julii corys and a mini cory and my can't-kill-him betta left.

Going to do a complete overhaul of the tank. The plants look okay but there's a stagnant tank sitting there nearly frozen so I don't know what'd be left of the bacteria population.

Guess I gotta blank slate...any suggestions?

Bummed in Michigan,

FIggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry to hear about your fish. That sucks. I remember living in Chicago and dealing with ice storms, not fun when you lose power for 3-4 days and is below freezing outside. It sounds like you had a really good mix of fish. What size is your tank?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 07:47 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
I feel your pain. We had the joy of going through a two day power-out after a tornado snapped all the lines around the area... and halfway through the night of doing regular water changes to keep our four tanks of fish alive, the water ended up tainted somehow. Of course, we realized this after it had affected the fish... what a blow that was.

It's awful losing a bunch of healthy fish. Sorry for your loss, and good luck with getting the tank back up. Something I learned from the tornado fiasco was: always be prepared with a 'fish emergency kit.' Battery powered air pumps, spare heaters, extra buckets, and other assorted odds and ends can make all the difference.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Sorry for your loss. We also got hit by the ice. I live in town (Mt. Pleasant) so my power was okay but my gf was out of power for about 2 1/2 days (country living). Forunately we have generators, which every fish owner should have. Then when the power goes out you can hook up your furnace blower and all you fish needs. Then your place will not freeze and your fish might stand a chance of making it. Now is the chance to make somthing new out of somthing old. Hope this goes well for you.

Josh

Josh
10g & 46g bf, Filstar XP2, coralife 96w, eco-complete, pressurized CO2 w/ DIY in-line reactor & ferts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

The rest of the story:

With a zillion year old pine tree sticking through your roof, emergency fish kits weren't the first thing on the To Do list!

The survivors are now tucked into a thawed-out nano while I decide our next move for the 29 gal.

Figs
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
sorry about your loss of fish and roof.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:49 AM

PTrader: (5/100%)
Ah, it could still be worse. No one fed them a beer or knocked a plug out of the wall or some stupid preventable thing. Good luck on finding new ones. There will be some fun once you get the super damage control done.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

The Gap

My mind keeps wandering toward an attempt at a planted GOLDFISH tank. ....

Every time I visit the goldfish-dedicated forums, it seems there is a really wide gap between keeping such gorgeous fish and providing them with a quality aquascape. I keep seeing photos of drop-dead-stunning fish swimming around pink castles....

I can't begin to afford a set-up like Hypancistrus posted, but maybe can improve on the pink castle 'scape.

Hmmmm..........
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 04:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well, if you when you turn in your claim to homeowners (insurance), make sure to mention your tank and everything in it.. Might get enough to buy a bigger tank and fish!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I love owning a generator. Seriously, if you have money invested, buying an old generator for like 300 bucks isn't a bad idea. Besides, having peace of mind never hurts.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 05:20 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
At least you and your loved ones are OK (I assume, or you would not be compaling about fish).

Sending tank recovery vibes your way. Take care.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I know EXACTLY what your going through. We got slamed here too. No power for two days, it was bellow freezing INSIDE the house. Gack. Yet grammas across town had power so I hauled my comp over there LOL You know... necessities and all.

I planed ahead though and I have a niffty little set up that I borrowed from my uncle. A small gas powered generator. It isnt very big, but it was enough to run air and heat into all of my tanks. I think I iwll be investing in one myself soon.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 08:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I am sorry to hear about your situation, mother nature can be nasty.
With the pine tree addition to your roof this may be a moot point, but I hope you turned off your main water supply.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Yep. A generator is on the top of the wish list when we get some money. Soon, we hope.

Meanwhile the remaining corys and betta are sharing a 4 gal nano while I take down their 29 gal. Lost the last amano shrimp today, prolly from all the stress! The nerite snails seem to be holding their own.

Onward....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Worse yet....

Fer cryin' out loud!

We lost power again where we were staying and I had to evacuate the last fish to the lfs. They wouldn't take them in trade cuz so many people had brought them their fish after the storm so I had to just give them to the store to save them.

Spent the evening cleaning out the tank and painting the back black [something I'd meant to get to].

Now I've got a really blank slate...

Fig the Fish-less

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode