Low Tech CO2 Concerns - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low Tech CO2 Concerns

Hi there,

I've got a 40 gallon planted tank full of plants, working on my fish stock...currently about 75% there. I've gotten a lot of the plants from a friend with a 40 gallon who had great success with all of them. He kept it low tech and didn't use any CO2, and I'd like to do the same.

Out of curiosity, I was reading up on CO2 and there were suggestions about increasing CO2 in a tank naturally. It never occurred to me that this could be a possibility, but would putting the filter on a timer - which would reduce the agitation of the water surface, increase the CO2 in the water? If so, would I run into any other problems?

Thanks for any advice you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:37 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3h0ld3r View Post
Hi there,

I've got a 40 gallon planted tank full of plants, working on my fish stock...currently about 75% there. I've gotten a lot of the plants from a friend with a 40 gallon who had great success with all of them. He kept it low tech and didn't use any CO2, and I'd like to do the same.

Out of curiosity, I was reading up on CO2 and there were suggestions about increasing CO2 in a tank naturally. It never occurred to me that this could be a possibility, but would putting the filter on a timer - which would reduce the agitation of the water surface, increase the CO2 in the water? If so, would I run into any other problems?

Thanks for any advice you have.
could be a reduction of surface tension would boost Co2, but could also reduce the oxygen in the tank for your fish. might be a concern.. might not?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Is said that a little ripple on surface will help to equalize CO2 with that in atmosphere to small degree.
Add to this the CO2 produced by fishes as by-product of respiration,and organic carbon produced by bacteria in substrate,and you have little to worry bout in my view.
I have three low tech tank's all with fairly good rippling at the surface, and plant's are growing fine albeit slowly, which suit's me.
My filter's run 24/7 until I shut em off to clean em.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok sounds good. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing then. I had never thought of turning the filter off so I just wanted to check if this was common practice. Thanks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Algae Grower

Flourish Excel might be something you can use to add CO2 to the water as well, although it might not be as cost-effective on such a large tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode