Rotala wallichii - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anybody out there have any experience with this one? I have it in a tank with 4 watts/gallon, Onyx substrate, and canister carbon at about 30mg/l. I've tried root tabs and liquid fertilizer high in chelated iron, but this damn stuff still turns brown on me. I have r. macranda which does well and r. indica literally grows out of the tank faster than I can trim it, so most of my conditions must be OK. The wallichii was really bright, orange/pink when I got it--almost looked like something you'd see in the ocean. Now it looks like a dead squirrel's tail! Too much light, maybe?

Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had the same results. After reading up on it I don't feel so bad tho, they say its a real bear to keep it looking good. I put it out of the way in my hex tank (which I can't find any decent lights for) it has maybe 2 watts/gal. Its actually perking up in there. So..... you may be right with to much light, maybe you need to shade it. Let me know how you make out. :hehe:

Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Some plants exhibit the red/orange coloration from the presence of the red pigment anthocyanin when there is a nitrogen deficiency. Perhaps the aquafarm nitrogen-starves the plants before shipping them out? Sometimes they are green at the farm and then turn red when put in a low-NO3 tank at the LFS.

My NO3 levels are higher than they've been in a while and my Hygro Polysperma and Rotala Indica are almost completely green. No red at all, like they usually are.

But try shading them and see how they respond to that change. I'm definitely curious as to how this plays out.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies you guys. I'm going to tuck some in a darker corner and see what happens. I don't moniter nitrates, but I do a lot of water changes because I have a lot of fish, so I just assume they're pretty low--I'll post an update in a few days (or weeks) and let you know what happens....

Russ
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally figured this one out! I moved some of my r. wallichii to shaded areas since you suggested it, but still no improvement. I have a school of 12 Crossochelius siamensis in this tank and I just noticed this morning before the lights came on, they are literally eating the fine leaves right down to the stem. I barely have a trace of algae in this tank and feed very sparingly so I guess they're hungry! It's funny, I also have some foxtail in here too, and they don't even touch it, even though outwardly the fine leaves look and feel like feathers. Guess it's Murphy's Aquarium Law--of course they go right for the expensive stuff!

Russ

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode