Question on plant spikes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Flgatorguy Send a message via Yahoo to Flgatorguy
i was at the store tonight and i picked up some miracle gro plant spikes they were the indoor plant spikes the numbers are "6-12-6" and im wondering are these ok to put in my tank?.....6% Nitrogen 12% phosphate and 6% potash (what is that?)
and minute amounts of magnesium, boron, copper, iron (chelated =(...), maganese, and zinc......is this ok to use?

10 gallon low-tech Betta bowl...for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 05:25 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Do not use the miracle gro plant spikes in your tank. the phosphate# is to high. Fertilizers are rated with a n-p-k number such as the 6-12-6 on the sticks you have. N stands for% nitrogen,P stands for %phosphate, K stands for %potash/pottassium. Phosphate will create lots of algae problems. The sticks I use are Jobes plant sticks for large indoor plants. The NPK is14-3-6. You can see that the nitrogen to phosphate ratio is low. Many people use Jobes sticks for lush ferns and palms which which has an even more favorable ratio, something like 15-2-7, I'm not sure though. Those are even better but I haven't been able to find them in my area yet.

You may not need them in your tank yet. What i usually do is check my nitrate (no3) levels in the tank. if they are 5ppm or less then I'll put some plant sticks in the substrate. Something like a 1/2 stick near the roots of the root feeders. If my nitrate levels are 10ppm or more I won't add any sticks. If you don't have a nitrate test, you should get one. With high light and co2 injection, its a pretty good bet that at some point your tank will be seeing 0 nitrates. But don't add any sticks unless you need them. I hope that helps.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ok thankyou for the info, have to find some jobes.....i found jobes last night but they were the Tree Spikes....wasnt sure aboutt hem so i didnt get 'em, ammon, nittrite/trate are all zero

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 08:22 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm not sure if you know this but nitrites and nitrates are not the same. Ammonia is converted to nitrite and then nitrite is converted to nitrate. Nitrate being the end product of the nitrogen cycle. It can only be removed thru water changes or used by your plants. Just in case.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yes, i did know but thankyou for the thought......

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
If your NH3, NO2 and NO3 levels are all zero, I definitely think you'll benefit from some low P fertilizer. A lot of people swear against them, but I've had nothing but success with them. What are your PO4 levels?

I've been using the standard Jobes Houseplant sticks (13-4-5) but I'm almost out. Next batch is going to be the 15-2-7 fern sticks.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode