re: nano tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What do people mean when they are talking about a nano tank? It sounds like it could be interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They mean very small. 5-10 gallon might be considered nano, it is up to you!

-Tim

Tank in transition! 55 gallons, hard water.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yeah like SNPiccolo said, all it is, is a very small tank. It is really up to you on how large or small you consider it a nano tank.

Personally when I talk about saltwater nano's I am talking about 2.5 to 20 gallons. When I talk about freshwater nanos I am talking around the 2.5 to 10 range as it is much more common to have small freshwater rather than saltwater tanks.

Kyle

Please Send all Support Requests to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 01:47 AM

A nano tank can be even smaller than a 5 gallon. Anything under a 10 gallon is considered a nano. Nano saltwater reefs are also popular. Takashi Amano has made nano planted tanks very popular due to his books.

I currantly have a 5.5 gallon cycling and hopefully have it turn into a nano tank. Personally I like to work with smaller tanks than big ones. The bigger the tank the more money you are going to invest in it. For somone like me who dosent have alot of money to spare, a nano tank works great. They can be just a good looking as their bigger cousins.

The one problem I am finding hard to deal with is trying to find plants that work in a tank of this size. Sometimes dwarf plants are still too big for a nano tank.

All I can say is try it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 02:29 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
LOL...
...and I thought a Nano tank was something to do with the substrate ... learn something new every day... :hehe:

ever tell ya I love this Forum
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 06:04 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally posted by Buck
ever tell ya I love this Forum
Yep and it makes me feel good everytime you do!

Kyle

Please Send all Support Requests to

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 08:09 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Flgatorguy Send a message via Yahoo to Flgatorguy
and im sure most of you know this but ill post anyways......with the smaller tanks problems can arise quicker than in larger tanks....but then it might be nice to have a 10g in my bathroom........

10 gallon low-tech Betta bowl...for now.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Flgatorguy makes a really good point. The reason nano saltwater tanks are usually bigger is because saltwater tanks need to be extremely stable, the ocean is the most stable environment in the world, so its organisms don't have the ability to adapt to to changing conditions.

In smaller tanks, changes can happen much more quickly, and it is easier to make a mistake or over-do or under-do something.

One thing that I hear is hard for nano-planted-tanks is CO2. You might have luck with one of those 1 litre bottles if it is below 10 gallons, because I think a 2 litre would be a bit much. Just thought I'd post!

-Tim

Tank in transition! 55 gallons, hard water.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 03:56 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
This is my 2.5g nano planted tank that I've got here on my desk at work. Not a great picture, but you get the idea. It's powered by a small Whisper filter (the smallest), a non thermostatic 7.5w heater, and a 13W CF swing-arm light. I use a 2-liter CO2 generator with the air going into the Whisper filter intake. I haven't done the filter-lip "mod" to eliminate surface agitation, though, so if CO2 levels do get high, they can outgas into the atmosphere rather easily. It's a great little setup! I'd recommend it to anyone!

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2002, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Well, I guess that my two 6gal tanks would be nano tanks then. I have corkscrew val in one and it's really taking off. Would it hurt it if I clipped off the ends of the tallest blades?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I clip my Sag. Subtulata almost weekly, and the plant is doing well. Just don't clip every leaf at once. I usually clip no more than 1/4 to 1/3 at a time and leave the rest.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode