Pressurized Co2 setup - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pressurized Co2 setup

Hello first of all i wanna thank you all for being so helpful on this forum, ive learned a lot about basically anything i need help on. Ive had fish tanks since i was like 10 years old but recently I picked up the hobby again (this time wanted to try planted tank) I have setup my 50g planted tank, so far only a few tetras and 2 plants. However I want to add more plants and improve the growth so I want to setup a co2 system. I found a co2 set online at amazon, it comes with a regulator /w bubble counter and gauge.

Are these 2 the main components i need?

heres the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instruments-Solenoid-Regulator-Counter/dp/B001DTNWF2/ref=pd_sim_lg_4/175-3824155-2221545
Also if i look below the pic, theres a recommended co2 cylinder tank that most ppl who buy the regulator usually get as well. the co2 tank is 5 lbs, should i get a 10lbs instead? I have a 50g tank

And btw, are there any other better deals i can get? or anyone selling a used one? i live in Canada, i went to a LFS and the guy said the whole system i will be looking at $400 so thats why i held back and wanna do some research first. anyways, im open to any comments or suggestions.. thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.

i attached a picture of my tank (1st month after setup). any comments? im planning to carpet but need my co2 first..and maybe get some angel and shrimp

thanks,

sam

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130224_184026.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	95178

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-27-2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: To clarify - this is not a strictly WTB thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:25 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
As with any CO2 setup, there are a variety of equipment pieces that you will require. For more information, please take a look at my primer to pressurized CO2 article (linked in my signature below).

The nice thing about the Milwaukee MA957 is that it is sold as a complete setup: you get the regulator, a solenoid, a needle valve as a well as a bubble counter. This, along with the CO2 cylinder, will get you on the path to injecting CO2 into your aquarium.

Regarding the regulator, there are some people that have had good experiences with the MA957, while others have had bad experiences. I am one of those latter, and would not recommend it if you are looking for a lasting investment. It is a relatively cheap investment if you are just looking to get your feet wet. For pressurized CO2 equipment, you really get what you pay for (provided you do your research).

Regarding your CO2 cylinder, I would recommend the largest sized cylinder you can afford (money wise and also space wise). This is because refills are generally not significantly different in price. In addition, with a larger cylinder, you will not need to do refill your cylinder as often, which means less hassle.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
thanks for your advice, ill give the DIY a try first see how that goes. But you;re right, it is a long term investment and might wanna look into something that will last.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode