Clear Leaves - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Clear Leaves

My Swords leaves are getiing clear and all is left are the veins of the leaf? I use rootabs, my water is good, i do weekly water changes. I dose comprehensive. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
What exactly are your water parameters? What about lighting? CO2?

Most likely, you have a nutrient deficiency. Is the clearing only occurring in new leaves? Old leaves? Both?

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post

Most likely, you have a nutrient deficiency. Is the clearing only occurring in new leaves? Old leaves? Both?
I'm having the same issue with my Marble Queen but only one of them. I'm running a CFL 15W, 50/50 cfl 10 W, supposedly 30ppm CO2 according to the charts and I'm dosing Flourish every other day but just have standard gravel. A few almost unnoticeable traces of ammonia/nitrite and 10ppm nitrate.

Any ideas? I was thinking root tabs next.

Last edited by hunterlook; 02-26-2013 at 04:26 PM. Reason: 10 Gallon Tank btw

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlook View Post
I'm having the same issue with my Marble Queen but only one of them. I'm running a CFL 15W, 50/50 cfl 10 W, supposedly 30ppm CO2 according to the charts and I'm dosing Flourish every other day but just have standard gravel. A few almost unnoticeable traces of ammonia/nitrite and 10ppm nitrate.

Any ideas? I was thinking root tabs next.
The 50/50 bulb could be swapped out with another bulb, since the plant cannot utilize all the light anyway (but that is another matter).

For your CO2, using a pH/kH/CO2 chart is not a good way, since you are measuring the kH of your aquarium water (presumably), and there are other components that can affect kH, resulting in a skewed CO2 reading.

The best way to estimate your CO2 levels is to use a drop checker with a 4 dkH referene solution.

Root tabs can help your Marble Queen, as Swords are generally heavy root feeders.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
The 50/50 bulb could be swapped out with another bulb, since the plant cannot utilize all the light anyway (but that is another matter).

For your CO2, using a pH/kH/CO2 chart is not a good way, since you are measuring the kH of your aquarium water (presumably), and there are other components that can affect kH, resulting in a skewed CO2 reading.

The best way to estimate your CO2 levels is to use a drop checker with a 4 dkH referene solution.

Root tabs can help your Marble Queen, as Swords are generally heavy root feeders.
Ok great, I'll start with root tabs. The Marble in question is actually under the standar CFL bulb but its actually right in front of the heater, could it possibly be getting "cooked"?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterlook View Post
Ok great, I'll start with root tabs. The Marble in question is actually under the standar CFL bulb but its actually right in front of the heater, could it possibly be getting "cooked"?
I would assume your heater is within reasonable temperatures, so I don't think the plant would be getting burned (unless some of the leaves are touching the heater directly, there is no flow in that area, etc).

Anthony

and

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

Mostly with the old leaves that have been there
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:

Ive got 12,000k 65w t5 ho pwc bulbs no co2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode