Snails little brown onse - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snails little brown onse

How to eliminate little brown snails from my planted tank? they just keep coming.

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is Mystery, Today is a GIFT (the present
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)Cheers

Garothmaan = heaven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Snails little brown onse

I usually get them when I over feed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Regards,
Aquaticz
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Overfeeding, especially flakes, will keep them coming, and coming, and....

They were starting to get out of hand in the 125G. I started alternating flakes with frozen worms and while cutting back on the quantity of each and they seemed to level off. I also started to remove them during water changes. It worked a little too well as they just disappeared. I would've preferred to just keep them to manageable numbers, but I was a bit heavy-handed siphoning them out with water changes and they've been absent for months.

Maintaining lower Ph (if your tank inhabitants will tolerate) will knock them down over a period of time as well.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:05 PM
Planted Member

Talking

Add a piece of cumber(or lettuce), leave it overnight, see it in the morning and their is a good chance that it will be covered. Do this to my ramshorns (not to kill btw) and they love to eat it as a treat. Make sure you rinse it very good before you add it to the tank as it could contain pesticide residue. Good Luck
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)
As already mentioned, overfeeding is the cause of snail outbreaks.

That said, sometimes in larger community aquariums I've found that it can be difficult not to overfeed while still getting food to all fish.

Depending on the size of your tank and the fish you keep, adding some Assassin snails will either eliminate the snails completely, or keep them at a maintainable level. The Assassin snails look pretty cool and they are much easier to remove and control. They will also reproduce on their own, but not at the high rate that ramshorns/MTS/pond snails do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have 1 bag of Akadama Double Red Line Medium still available....PM me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, Assasins will do the job, have heard that. Thanks guys

)Cheers

Garothmaan = heaven
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Suppose if I remove all the plants and fishes and want to redo the whole thing with the same soil, what is the remedy? I have river sand from a river bank in Mumbai-

)Cheers

Garothmaan = heaven
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (24/100%)
If you have an inert substrate (sand only) soaking in 50% diluted bleach for a day or two should wipe out anything living.

If you have other substrate, baking it on an oven sheet at lower temps will do the trick. Anything aquatic will only be able to survive dry, hot temperatures for so long, and even cysts & eggs won't stand a chance.

I don't know what effect cooking would have on a product like aquasoil or Akadama.

I have 1 bag of Akadama Double Red Line Medium still available....PM me.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
I feed my fish twice a week and still have them. I just crush them when they get high on the glass and feed them to my fish.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
I feed my fish twice a week and still have them. I just crush them when they get high on the glass and feed them to my fish.
Lol! thats a good idea too, but wont it increase the dirt in tank?

However, the whole plants, i.e. the full grown plants can be removed from the soil, then clean the soild with 50% bleach, and then replanting can be a realistc thing...right?

)Cheers

Garothmaan = heaven

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode