Would you worry about this chip in my corner? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would you worry about this chip in my corner?

Just bought a new 60gallon. Waiting for filters and heaters and lights and other components to come in. Haven't filled it yet, but just noticed this chip tonight.

Really not deep at all. Maybe 1mm tops below the surface. Looks worse from the front.

Barely any depth to it. It's dead center here

About 2/3 the way up

Should I worry? This tank has 3/8" thick glass

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

-Mike

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 02-25-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would always be wary of any kind of damage to glass on a aquarium. The size of the crack, size of the aquarium, location of the crack, type of crack, and many other factors can play a roll. That said, yours doesn't look THAT bad. Is it chipped or is there cracking that can spread? It doesn't look like it's even close to the silicon so that is good. I had a nice chip in my 90g oceanic. Those are made with thick glass as well. Threw some epoxy on there and all was well for 3+ years before I sold it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's just a chip. Holding a bright light on the side shows the outline is limited to what you see. It's nowhere near the silicone at all.

I'm probably being paranoid as searching the net reveals guys using tanks with far worse chips than mine.

-Mike

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 AM
Planted Member

Should probably be fine. However, if you just bought it and it came with a chip, I'd probably take it back and have it exchanged.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If it was sold AS IS I would just throw some epoxy on there to be safe and start your 60g TPT journal!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Should probably be fine. However, if you just bought it and it came with a chip, I'd probably take it back and have it exchanged.
I would, except I bought the last one and have to ask a friend to take it for me since it doesn't fit in my car.

So if I return it, I'll need to find something else.

I think I'm being paranoid though. Most 55gal are sold with 1/4" glass. My 60 has same footprint but 3-4" taller. But it's using 3/8" glass. (I realize thickness depends on the height) This chip is on the corner, away from the silicone.

Reason for my paranoia...it's going in my 3rd floor condo. Needless to say my first call I made before I bought it was to my insurance agent. In fact, I may set this tank up in my parents home (1st level) for that reason and set up a little 10gallon in my condo.

-Mike
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 PM
Planted Member

No problem at all using that tank with that chip.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:10 PM
Planted Member

Should be fine. Right now I have a 10g aquarium that has small cracks and a chip at one corner. Been running for a year and a half and I have seen no threats to this. Must've gotten their by bad shipping.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 09:14 PM
MSG
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Like Lowe & SO mentioned the chip doesn't look significant.

Here's a glimpse at a crack that I would be concerned with if it was a larger tank.

With your 60G, the chip shouldn't that much of a concern, but do flip the chipped corner so it's facing the BACK.

I would be more concerned with making sure the stand you picked out is completely level & hardware is tightened up before you mount the tank.
  • Why did you choose the 60G instead of a 55G? I'll have to measure the thickness of the glass on a 55G.
  • I'm going to assume the 60G has a more refined finished edge?
  • Does the 60G use Starphire or Iron glass?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned

Don't fret on it. I would set it up...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
I would be more concerned with making sure the stand you picked out is completely level & hardware is tightened up before you mount the tank.
  • Why did you choose the 60G instead of a 55G? I'll have to measure the thickness of the glass on a 55G.
  • I'm going to assume the 60G has a more refined finished edge?
  • Does the 60G use Starphire or Iron glass?
The setup is the 60Gal Marineland Heartland ensemble setup.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3804465

I must admit, i impulse bought this based on a good price and wanting to get into a 55+ gal setup. The tank is great. Black silicone, 3/8" glass, well made, etc. It's a 55gal footprint, but 24" tall instead.

However, the stand is terrible. I have no faith in it. I knew i'd be ditching the hood/lights, but to pay $260 for the tank (which is very good BTW) and then need to buy a stand/hood/lights after that just seemed rediculius when i can go buy a 75Gal for under $200 and buy a great stand.

SO....needless to say the setup is getting returned this weekend and I'm going to take my time and put together a 75gallon setup using quality components. I don't mind spending the money as long as I can buy a setup i am happy with.

-Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode