Otto stocking density - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Otto stocking density

My question is exactly that. I have seen most people recommend 1 per 5 gallons, but also say they should be kept in at least a pair for them to be happy. I set up a Spec 5 gallon for my girlfriend recently, cycled it, etc, is completely stock. It currently has:
2 enders (both male)
4 lamb chop rasbora
2 anubias nana
1 crypt wendti

She loves my ottos and wants 1 or 2. I told her that her tank needed to mature a bit before adding them and she is fine with that. Her tanks bio filter handles the current bio load well with 1 gallon a week water changes. So ultimately should I add 1 or 2 ottos after her tank matures for a couple more weeks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would add 2 ottos if she's really set on them (a snail would be a better choice for that size of tank) but be sure to provide food for them as well, such as algae wafers or blanched zuchini.

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 01:48 AM
Algae Grower

I had 1 in my spec V for about a month and a half he was very healthy but over time he stopped eating and I guess that was due to him being alone. I'd recommend a pair to keep them happy!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have 2 otos in a Spec V and they've done well so far (about 3 weeks now). I may be a bit overstocked with 6 hasbrosus cories, 9 boraras urophthalmoides (really tiny) and a couple of small amano shrimp.

It's any easy tank to maintain and I change 50% each week. I have a couple of crypts, chain swords, some ludwigia (I think), hygro compacta and a piece of driftwood with an anubias and some moss.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for the input. I wanted to add more plant mass, but she didn't want any, so we settled on just a few low light, low maintenance plants. I'll add 2 when the tank matures a little and make sure she supplements their diet. It's funny, the tank is in her high school classroom and she says her students act like kindergartners when they are looking at her tank. I guess pets hold a special place in everyone's hearts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode