a newbie looking for ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
a newbie looking for ideas

hello all,

i am new to the forum and planning on starting a planted tank.
my current set up is a 75g tank with a t12 light on it a ehiem 2075 canister filter and emperor 400 power filter. i currently have regular gravel in the bottom with a large piece of drift wood and some rocks as decor. i am currently keeping 3 angelfish ,2 white tetras, a pink kissing gourami, and a blue gourami in it.

so now heres where ideas come into play im planning on upgrading the lights to a double t5ho strip (saw a hagen glo at a fish store, already have 1 on my 120g tank and it works great) not sure which kind of bubls to go with. i was also thinking about going with mgops as a base with some eco complete as a cap or possibly some ada. not sure about how thick of a base of substrate you need to put in the tank itself. so i was wondering from reading the forums if i should ditch the emporer 400 and just run the 2075..if need be i also have an ehiem 2217 i could run with the 2075.would i need a co2 injector in a set up like this? i was also hoping someone could point me in the direction of what kind of plants i should look into to begin with.

thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Algae Grower

If youre going with potting soil and a cap, youll want plants with extensive root systems (to aerate the soil), and fast growers to start (to use up the initial mass leaching of nutrients). You can switch to others later once established..

Id go with amazon swords and water wisteria. Cheap to buy in bulk and easy to grow. Very good beginner plants. Also some sort of floater. Amazon frogbit is a good choice. Your gouramis will love it, and theyre a great nutrient sponge.

You probably dont need co2 for that setup. co2, light, and ferts need to be in balance. If you go high light and high ferts, well then you need to add high co2 or else youll get algae blooms. If youre medium light (which is what I would call 2 t5ho's) then you should be okay with EI dosing and no co2.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you for the advice i was also wondering if theres a good carpet type plant for this set up

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode