Who using co2 inline atomizer? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Who using co2 inline atomizer?

Just wondering what your thoughts are on these, and how well they work. Really thinking about buying one rather than having to deal with extra plumbing for making my own reactor. My tank is 90 gallons with Rena XP Filstar XL canister.

Last edited by marcnc; 02-22-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
i use the GLA one and it work really great! I dont like to c any thing beside in/out flow sooo . best at 35psi( around 3-4bps)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Re: Who using co2 inline atomizer?

I am using UpAqua on 3 tanks and I am pretty happy with them. You do get some misting out of the outflow but you have to look hard to see it.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
I am running one (GLA) (and a reactor). I like the misting of CO2 it gives the plants. Very easy setup. Just have to run your pressure at about 40psi.

Current Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 03:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have UP Aquas on two tanks so far and they work great
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 03:10 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Consensus is people love these. Unfortunately, there's a steadily growing minority that have had one-time or chronic problems with these things. Clogging, cracking, ridiculous pressure requirements, and poor connection design have been issues.

This is aside from issues stemming from the cracking pressure, which can be anywhere from 25 to 45 psi or so.

edit - I've used 3 of these. Using one or more of these in a rig that feeds 2 or more tanks is, at best, difficult. However, individually, they tend to work very well.

Last edited by kevmo911; 02-22-2013 at 03:13 AM. Reason: personal experience
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 03:19 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Im using the old Boyu CD-01. For some reason these have all but disappeared from E b a y

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 05:29 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Re: Who using co2 inline atomizer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
edit - I've used 3 of these. Using one or more of these in a rig that feeds 2 or more tanks is, at best, difficult. However, individually, they tend to work very well.
I probably do not understand the issues, but if you have a single regulator with multiple co2 needle valves then you can feed multiple of them, one or more per tank or multiple tanks. That assumes that you do have one filter/pump for each inline atomizer though.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Tenets of TKD
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 05:40 AM
ETK
Planted Member

I use the ista mix max. Its really similar to the DIY reactors, but I think the design is a little better and the price is right.

Not sure why, but not many people seem to use these.

-ETK

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I use and love gla's inline diffuser. I have had no issues with clogging in 6 months I've had it. Am also in the process of building up a 90p setup and plan to buy a second unit based off the positive experience with the first.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
I probably do not understand the issues, but if you have a single regulator with multiple co2 needle valves then you can feed multiple of them, one or more per tank or multiple tanks. That assumes that you do have one filter/pump for each inline atomizer though.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2
It has to do with the different cracking pressures of these things. I was, after much difficulty, able to dial in two of them after toying with working pressure for awhile, but was completely unable to balance them with a third. The type of needle valves also plays a role, I think. The ability to completely, or almost completely, close (most of the industrial metering valves aren't designed for shutoff) would likely help.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Do you all think it would work fine with Fluval FX5 Canister Filter? That what I am thinking of getting.

Thanks for all the input.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
inline diffuser on the FX5 will take some DIY'ing love whether you choose to replace the complete 1" ribbed tubing from Fluval or use some plumbing inginuity to neck down the tubing to the diffuser. I have not found a commercially manufactured inline Diffuser for the FX5 sized hose. Others might know. I ended up putting my diffuser on the 205 I had and running a second smaller canister. I was using the Up aqua diffuser ,and it required about 55 psi to get it to diffuse.

29g Tetra Tank
100g Planted Angel/Clown Loach
I can't spell...Im an engineer, I do math
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
How do you know if the gla inline diffuser is clogged? Does it shoots out any mist/bubbles when you use the inline diffuser?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
It has to do with the different cracking pressures of these things. I was, after much difficulty, able to dial in two of them after toying with working pressure for awhile, but was completely unable to balance them with a third. The type of needle valves also plays a role, I think. The ability to completely, or almost completely, close (most of the industrial metering valves aren't designed for shutoff) would likely help.
Gotcha and thanks for the explanation. I am up to 2 on a single regulator and was thinking of adding a 3rd, all needle valves being Ideal 52-1. I am at a higher end of the flow and that might be covering up the balancing. Thanks again for the heads up.

Tenets of TKD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode