Thoughts on first tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thoughts on first tank

I'm trying to decide between three tanks. Some things to keep in mind: this will be my first planted tank and first aquarium since being a kid; I will also most likely be buying my first home in a year or so, so what ever I start will have to be moved relatively soon. The three tanks I'm trying to decide between are:

20g Long
-I feel like this is a good starter tank but I'm worried about quickly out growing it. I know I could just purchase a larger tank down the road but given the expenses I have on the horizon I'd rather not be running two takes in the future.

30g Breeder (possibly 40g Breeder since same footprint-thoughts on that?)
-Probably a little higher start up cost but my two big concerns are having to prep it for a move and not knowing what the layout will be for its future home.

The Petco 6.6g Bookshelf
-The thing that worries me about this guy is that I have read that smaller tanks are actually harder to keep healthy. It has quite a few things going for it though, like expense, won't be a big deal to move, and I could pick one up tomorrow to start cycling it; where as those larger tanks I would probably piece them together slowly.

I'm really open to any of them but right now I'm leaning towards the 30/40g breeder. What do the experts think of my situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would opt for a 40 breeder over a 30 if you end up going that route.. the 30 is really very short and will limit your scaping options.

I have a 6.6 bookshelf tank and it's cute.. but it's cheap plastic (not acrylic) and EVERYTHING scratches it. You would probably be happier with a glass tank. If you want something in a similar size Mr Aqua makes a tank close to the same size, and they also make one that is about twice as big. http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewit...product=AZ1113

I had no trouble cycling my 6.6g tank or keeping it stable.. it currently houses some ADF's and some endlers. If you don't overstock your tank and do regular WC's it should be just fine.

That said, if i were to do it again and I was shopping for a tank I'd buy the Mr. Aqua since I am using NOTHING that came with the bookshelf tank other than the rim (which slips off) and clear lid. I am using a ZooMed 501 canister and a 20" fugeray with it (which was bought for another tank, which now has a ray2).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 05:01 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If you're planning on moving relatively soon maybe stick with something easier to move than the 40 breeder? I've had to move my 20 gallon a couple times and it was quite easy. Fish in a bucket and tank in the backseat, barely moved the scape.

I also prefer the standard 20 over a 20 long for a planted tank so you can get some more height from your plants, but that's just personal preference.

20 gal dirted community, 20 long Vietnamese mudskippers, 40 gal tanganyikan cichlids, 55 gal South American cichlids
3 gal opae ula shrimp cube, 8 gal Fluval Ebi

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode