Should all macs & micros be dosed together during tank reset EI method? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Should all macs & micros be dosed together during tank reset EI method?

I have been dosing macros & micros after tank reset , is this correct? The instructions for EI dosing only says 3 times a week for this nutrient group & 3 times for that group. It does not say dose macs on day 1 & dose micros the next. I have been dosing both groups + Fe all together , then I alternate starting first on day 2 with macs with some extra Fe, than day 3 only micros with again a little Fe.
I have been having great luck dosing like this as long as my NO3 stays above 10ppms & PO4 stays above 1ppm. Any input would be great . What does EI dosing say for day # 1 at reset ???? What groups or groupsdo you dose day#? What are you doing & are you having good success like me ? Thanks.

Last edited by Hardstuff; 02-21-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: punctuation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 08:02 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I dose macronutrients on days 1, 3, and 5. Micronutrients are dosed on days 2, 4 and 6. The day of the week does not matter.

On day 7, you do your 50% water change, and there is no need to dose.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks. However is this what you do or per EI dosing? For me my tank eats nitrate up to at least 5ppms per day. I actually dose additional 5ppms every day for fear that BGA will come back because of low nitrates. If I were to dose every other day I probably should dose 10 ppms per every other day or 5 or more drops in my tank which is a 10 gallon. If I do not dose at reset my nitrates fall to less than 2 ppms at reset. I do not like going a day without at least 10 ppms.
I was not sure what the correct format for EI dosing was since the instruction sheet does not say what to do at day 1. Day 1 is reset but do you want your nitrates to bottom out? The way around this would to dose heavier but I am afraid it could cause flashing with the fish , even though I would rather skip dosing on day 1.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardstuff View Post
Thanks. However is this what you do or per EI dosing?
This is what I do, but many others also do this. There is no hard and fast rule for EI dosing. It only suggests that you dose macronutrients and micronutrients 3-4 times a week. Some find alternating on each day easier. Some like to dose both on the same day. Others might like dosing everyday. EI is flexible in this sense and can be adjusted to your own desires.

In general, however, on the reset day, nothing needs to be dosed.

Quote:
For me my tank eats nitrate up to at least 5ppms per day. I actually dose additional 5ppms every day for fear that BGA will come back because of low nitrates. If I were to dose every other day I probably should dose 10 ppms per every other day or 5 or more drops in my tank which is a 10 gallon. If I do not dose at reset my nitrates fall to less than 2 ppms at reset. I do not like going a day without at least 10 ppms.
You must have an extreme plant load in order to be consuming 5 ppm a day, assuming your test kits are calibrated and measuring accurately. If you are following EI dosing strictly, the following net state should be met (see graph below; taken from Tom Barr's article regarding EI dosing).

Quote:
I was not sure what the correct format for EI dosing was since the instruction sheet does not say what to do at day 1. Day 1 is reset but do you want your nitrates to bottom out? The way around this would to dose heavier but I am afraid it could cause flashing with the fish , even though I would rather skip dosing on day 1.
If dosing using EI and following it strictly, your nitrates should never bottom out, but should reach a steady level over time.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Anthony. My Nitrate test kit is not calibrated. Someday I would consider dabbling with that. However at least my kit gives me an idea on consumption. And yes I have a heavy plant bio mass per square Liter. I like to keep it that way with the planted tanks so algae does not have a chance. My tank seems to do well with daily nitrate dosing, however I do alternate like EI every other day for the most part. But even with 5-6 drops KNO3 when I check levels after 48 hours I can only pick up 2-5 ppms on average. The water changes really knock my nitrates down, maybe in part because I use r/o water. I feel PO4 is important as well at keeping green spot down besides good plant growth so I try to make sure PO4 does not bottom out.

The flashing from higher doses I have not proven yet. That was back when I was adding 15-20% tap which I have stopped months ago which can also be caused by Prime water conditioner, but thats a different thread.
I pretty much understand the EI better now , but I have been following it pretty much on target with the only difference I add from day 1 and when I dose on day 1 I come in with macs then alternate to micros every other day, seems to work well for my tank provided the water changes are done & the carbon level stays up. Thanks again.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If you follow the table dosages, and do a big, roughly 50% water change once a week, you will always have enough of each nutrient in the water, including the day you do the water change. But, you can also reduce the dosage amounts, until you find that further reductions adversely affect the plants. The closer you get to that point, the more "critical" the dosing becomes, or you could run short of one or more nutrients. The reason for doing those reductions is usually to make it possible to go a lot longer between water changes, or change a lot less water each time. The method works fine either way, and will not increase the concentration of any of the nutrients high enough to be harmful to fish. (Some shrimp might be affected by lower amounts of nutrients, so that might be a different story.)

Hoppy
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would like to add that it seems the API test kits seem fairly accurate. My water company says the system has 2-3 ppms of nitrate. Thats what I read from the tap with API. It picks up zero on the r/o . Makes sense or there really would be a problem.
Now I need to make sure I am at least over or at 20ppm when I do my next change. I do not test as frequent as I use to because the tank is very stable & the plants are growing excellent. I have never recorded a reading higher than 5ppm of nitrate after reset! Unless the tank was not doing well for what ever reason.
I need to test this theory because I usually get low readings after all my water changes which are about 50%! On paper if my nitrates are not at least 20ppms before reset they will be low. Again, this could be do to R/O water since some tap waters around the country contain some nitrate. I probably should dose a little heavier for my tank to get the #s up. My PO 4 stays a little more stable but I still need regular dosing of that or it will crash to. My tanks digests about 1ppm a day of PO4. I like EI, I owe my success in part to it!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Hoppy. I would also like to add that I do notice the tank does the best the first day or 2 with a slight decline, slight meaning 5% a day. I feel that is do mostly to Redox. During a water change the tank will be getting fresh cations that were being otherwise depleted or unavailable to the plants & fish. What I do if I get too busy & fall behind an extra day or 2 besides EI I will go in & add some Mg & Ca just a few drops 1 time only because It will be changing the Gh slightly doing this but I feel it buys me an extra day or 2 because Mg gets depleted & is vital in the photo process. When I do this the tank picks up a little if I feel production is falling off a little. I really do not care if my Gh goes from a 4 to a 5 or 5 to a 6. I keep an eye on my TDS & when it gets anywhere near 270-290 ppms I know the tank needs a reset. It is a general gauge to use besides the 7 day reset, meaning not changing EI rules but it is not a perfect world & if your not home for the water change at least the TDS helps a little if you need to stretch things a little.
Thought that could help some people if they get a little stressed on missing a water change day or 2 or 3. Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode