Water change amount figuring on empty volume VS. loaded volume - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water change amount figuring on empty volume VS. loaded volume

So I might be over thinking this but I've been trying to figure out how much water I need to store since I am doing 100% RO/DI water for changes since my tap water really makes things difficult.

So the question is do I do a 30-40% change on the total volume of the tank empty (in my case about 40gal) or do I take into account all the soil & stone and reduce that amount.

Because of my set up I have to fill the containers from my system in my kitchen and then store them in a shared garage... I know not ideal but it is what it is.

I was looking at these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QC78GK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
But would need to find a pump to get the water out and into my tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
you don't have to do exactly 30% or 40%, just whatever amount you drain out add it back in, so if you can only store 5 gallons, do a 5 gal water change.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
you don't have to do exactly 30% or 40%, just whatever amount you drain out add it back in, so if you can only store 5 gallons, do a 5 gal water change.
Exactly! And to make sure you don't come up short, use a duplicate container (five gallon paint bucket, the 8 gallon thing in your link, whatever) to drain into - fill it 3/4 full from your tank and be assured you have a little more than enough RO ready in the second (full) container.

Fight Apathy!... or don't, whatever

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Planted Member

I think to really answer this question for you... It's just not that critical for it to be exactly 30% or 40% or whatever, so if you're estimating that 40% of the total volume when empty would be about 40 gallons, and you have room to store 40 gallons of RO/DI, then 40 gallons would be fine.

Basically, the water change is just an estimate of how much you should be changing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I use my RO/DI system as a dual purpose system Drinking/Tank so it has a 3 gal storage tank on it already.

I think I'll start out with 11gal water changes that would be about 30% of the overall volume and see how things go from there.

The reason I'm nervous is I see a lot of people doing 40% - 50% ++ water changes.

I've never used aqua soil before so I'm nervous about having enough water on hand for the daily water changes for the first week or so.

And changing enough water to keep everything in check....

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Base the 30% on total tank volume. you are correct the substrate & hardscape do did pace water so you might be changing an extra 5-10%. That's not enough to stress over.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I could see this being an issue for dosing medication or something, but as most of the people up above said, for water changes it's just an approximation.

I measured how much water I put into my tank for set up (just under 17 gallons for a 20XH), so I have a pretty good idea of the actual water volume.

You could also make an estimation based on the height of the water above the substrate - but this doesn't really take hardscape into account.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

I do 50-60% water changes all the time. No big deal.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode