Two 50w heaters in 32gal tank not enough? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Two 50w heaters in 32gal tank not enough?

I had ordered these eheim jagers and had them in since monday but im starting to think these are too low wattage for my tank size..

one side constantly stays on, while the other just turns on for short periods of time and stays off most of the time.

I just ordered 2x 75w jager's on amazon and once those get in ill be returning the 50 watt's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Algae Grower

I'm not a huge fan of using two heaters. Yes, it gives you a back up if one fails, but it also doubles the chances that a heater can stick on. Two are also more expensive and visible that one heater of higher wattage. I think you'll be better off with the 75w x 2 than you were with the two 50's. When I use two heaters (necessary in my 150) I find it near impossible to get them balanced to come on equally. One is always on more than the other one unless they are on a separate controller.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
IMO you don't have a large enough tank to really need 2 heaters. I use a 150w heater for my 30g and it does just fine on its own...no issues.

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnic05 View Post
IMO you don't have a large enough tank to really need 2 heaters. I use a 150w heater for my 30g and it does just fine on its own...no issues.

dang.. well i already ordered them on amazon and they are on their way.. I dont really want to return these as well as the 2 50's (I ordered the 50's on amazon also) so I guess Ill just stick with the 2 75's and return the 50's

and yeah it woulda been cheaper to just go with 1 150w jager, as the 150 is nearly the same price as the 75.. coulda used that money on livestock or plants.. oh well

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode