got 2 cherry shrimp, but 1 disappeared - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
got 2 cherry shrimp, but 1 disappeared

one piece of driftwood in my tank has crevices and holes and Im thinking maybe he is hiding in there because ive seen the second shrimp hanging out underneath it, but we havent seen the first one since the first day we introduced them both to the tank. the second shrimp however is very active and is always on the hunt for food.

could the first shrimp have gotten stuck inside the driftwood? or maybe since the jelly like white algae formed all over the wood maybe he got trapped?

I have a penguin 350 HOB with the intake not being a sponge, its just a slotted grate intake but I dont think it couldve gotten sucked up.. ive seen the second shrimp hanging out near the intake and it didnt seem he was phased by the water pressure.

only other option would be my 3 cardinal tetras, or 3 glow rasboras ate it? unless it crawled in a crevice in the drift wood and kicked the bucket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
All of the possibilities you mentioned, are well, possible. There have been numerous accounts with shrimp being sucked up by HOB filters (and other types of filters also). The safest filter for shrimp are sponge filters, or to add a sponge to your intake. Shrimp have also been known to climb into HOB outtakes.

Keeping fish with shrimp, as many will tell you, usually results in shrimp getting eaten. Cherries are commonly kept with fish as they usually breed so fast, a few shrimp picked off here and there isn't any worry.

It is possible he is inside the driftwood and may/may not be trapped by the algae (although your algae sounds a bit odd...jelly like?)

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnic05 View Post
All of the possibilities you mentioned, are well, possible. There have been numerous accounts with shrimp being sucked up by HOB filters (and other types of filters also). The safest filter for shrimp are sponge filters, or to add a sponge to your intake. Shrimp have also been known to climb into HOB outtakes.

Keeping fish with shrimp, as many will tell you, usually results in shrimp getting eaten. Cherries are commonly kept with fish as they usually breed so fast, a few shrimp picked off here and there isn't any worry.

It is possible he is inside the driftwood and may/may not be trapped by the algae (although your algae sounds a bit odd...jelly like?)
Yeah I guess its the normal algae that forms on new driftwood? its like a white jelly blob looking stuff

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Algae Grower

My shrimp do the same thing they hide under my driftwood where I can barely see them.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just read your other post. I've never heard/seen it but others obviously have. I wouldn't worry about the algae

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
― J.R.R. Tolkien

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I just read your other post. I've never heard/seen it but others obviously have. I wouldn't worry about the algae

you think me dosing liquid co2 could have killed the shrimp? the other guy doesn't seem to be affected by it really really
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenium View Post
you think me dosing liquid co2 could have killed the shrimp? the other guy doesn't seem to be affected by it really really
What kind of liquid co2 (brand)? Doesn't usually effect invertebrates negatively, although it's been known to happen. Be careful not to overdose.

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
― J.R.R. Tolkien

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
What kind of liquid co2 (brand)? Doesn't usually effect invertebrates negatively, although it's been known to happen. Be careful not to overdose.

I think its by API, it says 1ml per 10gal and the cap goes from 1ML to 5ML on the measuring lines.. I usually fill it halfway between 1 and 5
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenium View Post
I think its by API, it says 1ml per 10gal and the cap goes from 1ML to 5ML on the measuring lines.. I usually fill it halfway between 1 and 5
Should be fine then Good luck!

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode