90g high tech recommendations - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
90g high tech recommendations

Well, Ive been away for a few years and Im looking to build a 90g heavy planted discus setup. Im used to going the DIY route, but this time I want high quality/high tech. Just looking for opinions on equipment and setup, not really on the plant or discus topic. Things such as: Lighting, CO2 setups, Filtration, and of course substrate.
TIA,
mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 01:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
LEDsupply.com has some really nice set ups for very nice DIY LED lighting kits with endless options for LED configurations built in timers multi stage controllers dimmers etc etc

29g Tetra Tank
100g Planted Angel/Clown Loach
I can't spell...Im an engineer, I do math
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ive actually wondered if the LED's are good for plant growth. Ive always used pc fluorescent setups from ahsupply. I haven't used the led yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtanks View Post
LEDsupply.com has some really nice set ups for very nice DIY LED lighting kits with endless options for LED configurations built in timers multi stage controllers dimmers etc etc

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Also, I am starting from scratch completely. For some reason I decided to get rid of all my aquarium "junk" before I moved. I am regretting it, but I will rebuild it
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here some of the stuff I just ordered for my 90. I plan to have it med/high tech as well. I am on budget so some of this stuff might not work for you or maybe you would want higher end stuff not sure.

Lights
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...oducts_id=1638

Filter
http://www.rena.net/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=349

Heater
Hydor ETH In-Line Heater 300 Watt

CO2
From aquacave
10 lb. Aluminum CO Cylinder

Regulator
From aquacave
Reef Fanatic Deluxe CO2 Regulator

Still trying to decide how I am going to get CO2 into system, be it with co2 atomizer or build my own reactor.

For substrate I am using MTS capped with Seachem Flourite - Black Sand.

Hope this helps as I am setting up close to the same as you are. Let me know what you decide on CO2, or I will update you on the route I go as well.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Planted Member

I use atomic inline diffusor for co2 off my fluval 205. I love my planted tank however my my salt tank is DIY, My fun is the building and set up.

LED are just as good for plants as other lights, you just have to mix led "temps" to get the correct color saturations you want and the light level. I have T5HO from Aquaticlife I got way to good of a deal on it so I scrapped DIY'ing LED's but that was the direction I was heading in. You can dim individual banks of LED's you can put lenses on individual LED's to adjust your light spread, greater control over lgiht out put, longer life less heat..lots of pro's to LED DIY lights. Down side would be cost that varies alot based on how you build it and what style LED's you go with

29g Tetra Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the links, I should add that although I want non diy high tech, I still don't want to pay just for names. Ive used the Rena filters in the past and actually like them, pretty tough. I might actually go the catalina route for now until I can wrap my head around the whole led info. As for CO2 I really just want a plug and play type set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
Here some of the stuff I just ordered for my 90. I plan to have it med/high tech as well. I am on budget so some of this stuff might not work for you or maybe you would want higher end stuff not sure.

Lights
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/stor...oducts_id=1638

Filter
http://www.rena.net/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=349

Heater
Hydor ETH In-Line Heater 300 Watt

CO2
From aquacave
10 lb. Aluminum CO Cylinder

Regulator
From aquacave
Reef Fanatic Deluxe CO2 Regulator

Still trying to decide how I am going to get CO2 into system, be it with co2 atomizer or build my own reactor.

For substrate I am using MTS capped with Seachem Flourite - Black Sand.

Hope this helps as I am setting up close to the same as you are. Let me know what you decide on CO2, or I will update you on the route I go as well.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtanks View Post
I use atomic inline diffusor for co2 off my fluval 205. I love my planted tank however my my salt tank is DIY, My fun is the building and set up.

LED are just as good for plants as other lights, you just have to mix led "temps" to get the correct color saturations you want and the light level. I have T5HO from Aquaticlife I got way to good of a deal on it so I scrapped DIY'ing LED's but that was the direction I was heading in. You can dim individual banks of LED's you can put lenses on individual LED's to adjust your light spread, greater control over lgiht out put, longer life less heat..lots of pro's to LED DIY lights. Down side would be cost that varies alot based on how you build it and what style LED's you go with
How did you add your infline diffusor, did you T it off the return or just have it on the main return line no T?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtastic View Post
Thanks for the links, I should add that although I want non diy high tech, I still don't want to pay just for names. Ive used the Rena filters in the past and actually like them, pretty tough. I might actually go the catalina route for now until I can wrap my head around the whole led info. As for CO2 I really just want a plug and play type set up.
I don't understand the whole LED info either, that why I went the catalina route, they let you pic bulbs you want, plus that light I got was onsale a bit.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 AM
Planted Member

Diffuser was installed using 1/2 clear water hose from homedepot onto my 205 canister. To get the ribbed hose to attach to 1/2 water hose i used a threaded to barb transition thread tape and silicone on the threads and screw that into fluval hose, i threw a worm clamp on it for good measure since its all hidden. How ever.....the inline diffuser stopped diffusing tonight....but that is just my luck. Hence my perpetual trips to home depot DIY'n stuff.

29g Tetra Tank
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

picked up the tank and stand tonight. I think Im going with T5ho for lighting, and probably fluorite for substrate. Undecided on filter or filters and co2 setup
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 01:37 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
picked up the tank and stand tonight. I think Im going with T5ho for lighting, and probably fluorite for substrate. Undecided on filter or filters and co2 setup
Nice, did you get a 90?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
Nice, did you get a 90?
of course, my first brand new tank ever! Ive just had too many rough tanks buying used.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
of course, my first brand new tank ever! Ive just had too many rough tanks buying used.
Nice that same thing I am doing. Though had custom built stand & canopy which I hope is ready in a few days.

I got my filter today and was really not as nice as I thought it would be. Thought filter would be much nicer, and it was damaged and felt like it was cheap.

So now I am back to square 1 on that. I am thinking about now going with the Fluval FX5 Canister Filter, it about 65 dollars more, but seems much nicer and great reviews. Have youdecided on one yet?

Have you figured out what to do about CO2 yet? and how to get it into your tank, I am still looking into that as well.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2013, 10:08 AM

After giving up aquariums 25 years ago, I decided to build a planted 90 gallon community tank. I set it up in December and was amazed how technology has increased since I was last into it. Anyway, I went with an aquasun quad T5 HO 48" light, Fluval 406 canister filter, a "Green Machine" sterlizer, and an old Millenium 3000 HOB filter I had laying around for equipment. For dirt, I mixed red and black floride substrate (about 80 lbs worth) and topped it with gravel. It's been running for the last couple of months, it cycled in about 40 days (Nitrites were crazy high for about 2 weeks) and has settled down nicely.
I am a little over stocked with fish and they are doing quite well and my plants are so-so (some doing very well, others not so much). My next step is a CO2 system and I've decided to go with a pressurized system when my wallet can handle it.
All told, I'm probably into it for about $1200 counting plants and fish.
I've been reading this forum since I started and found a lot of good information here. Seems like a lot of folks know their stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode