New to the hobby - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
New to the hobby

Hey folks, just got into aquariums a couple weeks back and I'm absolutely loving it so far. I decided to start off with a standard 10 gallon planted set up to make sure I can actually handle it before I upgrade to anything larger.

I would love to get some feedback on anything you see in my tank that I'm doing wrong or just some recommendations on how I can benefit my tank!

So far my set up consists of:
-Standard 10 Gallon Tank
-Tetra Whisper EX30 Filter
-100W Heater
-Rio+ 200 Pump
-DIY CO2 Setup w/ bubble counter and check valve. (Rio pump is used as a diffuser and seems to be working well. I'm closely monitoring the performance of the pump to make sure the CO2 air pockets aren't harming it.
-Standard light hood with a 15W CFL on non planted side and a 12W 50/50 aquarium bulb for the planted side.
-Large piece of driftwood

Plants consist of:
-Madagascar Lace (big mistake)
-Banana Plant
-Anubias on smaller piece of driftwood
-A few Anacharis
-The one in the bottom right of the photo I can't identify (looks maybe like a type of sword?
-Also, what is the plant floating in the top left? It came in my back of shrimp
-Once the tank is cycled and depending on how my plants react to my tank, I'd like to cover the foreground in DHG or some dwarf baby tears but we'll see. In the mean time, my LFS just got their huge plant shipment in today so I know where I'll be this weekend!

Animals:
-Tank is about a week old and I've started to get some white algae growth on the drift wood. I bought about 12 ghost shrimp to hang out and munch away, hoping this helps with the cycle as well seeing as I'm not adding any pure ammonia.

My cycle has been going for about a week, I've been adding conditioner and Prime while also dosing a very tiny bit of liquid plant fertilizer every few days. Will I be able to successfully cycle my tank without the added ammonia or should I go ahead and add a few test fish to give it a boost?

Thanks for checking out my set up, I would love any help I can get! Don't mind the semi-bad condition of the plants, I just set up my CO2 a couple days ago in hopes that this will help bring them back to their full potential.

Here's my tank:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 AM
Dwarf Fish Lover

PTrader: (19/100%)
Welcome to TPT! Tank is looking good. The white thing growing on the wood is because it is not really a driftwood. The wood you got is normally for reptiles, and will grow the white thing once sink in the water. But dont worry, it will go away.

器材党
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh man, what a silly mistake on my part :/ good to know it will go away though, thank you!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aw no feedback? Come on guys!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
was it easy to set up your co2?

do you shut it off at night and run an air pump?

I want to set up this in my 30ish gal tank but i sold my air pump, and dont feel like buying a new one.. and dont wanna kill my fish running co2 all night.

so for now Im dosing with liquid co2
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

New to the hobby

http://youtu.be/xHS6yEDPKSU

That's the reference video I used. Basically use a 15/64 drill bit to make your holes and cut the tips of the airlines at an angle to get them through the holes and you should have no leaks at all. For your 30 gallon I would recommend using 2 big jugs and a large pasta sauce jar or something for your bubble counter so you don't have any excessive pressure build up issues. There's a few DIY diffusers out there but if you don't want to buy a pump, pick up a few cheap ones on eBay or something. I would place one on each end of the tank so you can get good flow for the plants.

Overall it was pretty easy and I don't have the option to shut off the co2 at night with DIY unless I pulled the airline out. I don't have fish right now so it doesn't really matter but if you're at 1 bubble per second, you shouldn't be doing any harm to your fish in a 30
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You tank looks good when you put new plants in your tank they will look bad for a while but they will come back.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
New to the hobby

You missed out on the best stuff. Why haven't you gotten any moss or Dwarf Sag? I love those 2. I don't know what it is, but my 10g has magic water or something. Everything I put in there thrives. Don't worry about the stuff on the wood, most of my driftwood is local and always does that
What is your substrate?
What are you planning on adding?

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
That looks like mopani wood, safe for aquariums. I have a couple in my tank, no problems. The white stuff is some kind of fungus and eventually disappears

|
| Fraternity of Dirt #120
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
You missed out on the best stuff. Why haven't you gotten any moss or Dwarf Sag? I love those 2. I don't know what it is, but my 10g has magic water or something. Everything I put in there thrives. Don't worry about the stuff on the wood, most of my driftwood is local and always does that
What is your substrate?
What are you planning on adding?
I made the mistake of not doing too much research prior to starting but I've done so much in the past week or so after setting it up.

The substrate is just Pure Water Pebbles, the finest grain I could find but its nothing special. Is there something I can add to it without having to set up my tank all over again? I planned on just trying root tabs on top of dosing some Seachem Flourish.

I started with these plants because my LFS was running low on stock and didn't have the moss I wanted. They just got their shipment in and I plan on getting a decent amount of Java Moss for my foreground and probably try and cover my piece of Mopani with it!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
That looks like mopani wood, safe for aquariums. I have a couple in my tank, no problems. The white stuff is some kind of fungus and eventually disappears
Good to know, thank you for the heads up!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode