My Phylanthus fluitans is flowering! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi everyone,

I registered on this site a while ago and have just been lurking around watching your discussions. I've been keeping and breeding guppies for years and just really got into plants in the last year or so. I've recently had the luxury of installing compact fluorescent lighting and pressurized CO2 on several of my tanks. It's been a great experience, but at one point I had some problems with excess algae, so I threw in some P. fluitans (a really nice, red-rooted floater) to help cut the light a bit and hopefully act as a nutrient sump. Anyway, since I was using it for function, I haven't really been looking at it that closely, but tonight when I got home from work, I noticed little white flowers all over the top of my tanks! They were coming from the P. fluitans. I couldn't believe it and was so excited I had to share it with someone. My friends all think I'm nuts, but I figured you guys and gals out there might be able to appreciate this!
If any of you out there have any stories to share about your plants flowering, I'd love to hear them. If not, thanks for listening!
Russ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
It's a rare thing for conditions to be right for aquatic plants to flower. You've got one heck of a setup! Is the tank an open top tank like this? I've always wanted to do an acrylic open top tank like this. You don't even see the tank, it's almost as if the water is just suspended in space!

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's not exactly open top, but close--it's a 125 gallon set-up, heavily planted with 3 x 96 watt compact fluorescents suspended on wooden blocks over each half of the glass canopy on the tank. (6 x 96 watt total.) I run 4 x 96 for 4 hours and 6 x 96 for another four hours each day. I was getting really amazing plant growth before, but since I've added the pressurized CO2, my plants don't even look the same anymore! I have some rotala macranda that was nice and bright red before, but since the CO2 was added, the outermost leaves are almost fluorescent pink, and the macranda also pearls almost continuosly when the lights are on. Really neat. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera (spent all my money on the CO2 system!) or I'd post some pics. Anyway, gotta go work so I can pay to feed my fish. Thanks for the response.....
Russ

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank VIP

I can't wait to upgrade to Pressurized CO2. Whenever you do save up for a digital camera, share some pics of that tank with us. It sounds impressive!

- Sam P -
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 02:17 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
heck yeh ... I would love to see some photos also.
Congrats on the flowers bro !!! Fluitans is on my " wish " list of plants for my tank , I love the look !

nice job !

Gulf... that tanks a beauty eh ? Maybe if we're real good Santa will bring us 1
I like scattered surface plants and with a topless tank like that it would be even nicer.

Dream on Bucky !
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Buck--saw your reply and thought I'd extend an offer since you're looking for P. fluitans. I literally grow a full covering over a 125 gallon every two weeks or so, and I end up just throwing it out! I take some to my LFS once in a while and trade for supplies, but I've pretty much worn out my welcome there! If you'd like to make arrangements to buy or trade, just let me know. I'm registered on paypal, so for $5 plus about $3.50 or so for priority mail shipping, I could send you a full cup/cup and a half or so any time. If you wanted to trade something, just let me know and I'm sure we could work something out. I hate just throwing stuff away and sometimes sell stuff on aquabid.com, but the constant listing/shipping process gets to be a pain. My direct e-mail is [email protected] if you wanted to contact me privately.

Russ
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank VIP

What does a Phylanthus fluitans look like anyway? I've tried searching several sites for it and can't find it.

Buck, it's hard to beat that topless look, eh? hehe

- Sam P -
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-15-2002, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Go to aquabid.com. There's a seller who has some listed there with a good picture. It's a nice crinkly-textured green on top, with leaves a little bigger than Salvinia. The underside is a maroonish red color, with a fine red root system. When you get a really nice covering over the surface of your tank (and the lights are on) it actually gives a really nice reddish cast to the whole aquarium...

Russ

PS I just found out my brother has a dig camera and if I can figure it out over the weekend I'll post you guys some pics...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 12:58 AM

Sent ya mail russ

thanks
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2002, 01:49 AM

Uh Oh...
my bad here russ ! I confused your Phylanthus fluitans with Riccia fluitans !!!
However , I think you have helped me solve a mystery bro. I think I have this plant or something similar. When I picked up some Water Sprite a month or so ago there was something mixed in with them.
At first there was only a few " clover " like leaves , very small , and I had just let them float around on my surface. Now this stuff is takin off with the new lighting. Its actually very kool looking. I have no red whatsoever in them but watching it grow it is apparent that I was blessed with some lil baby pieces. :hehe:
Time will tell ...
I appreciate the offer russ but Im actually looking for the Riccia and who knows maybe I have some and dont even know it

This stuff I got growing now would look sweet in a TOPLESS TANK... LOL
:P
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2002, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey gang,

Here's a picture of my set-up--haven't perfected the digital camera thing yet, but it's a start!

Russ
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 01:18 PM

WOW !!!
Russ I just got your email and figured I would get this post back up top and noticed you added a photo.
That tank is awesome ! Everything I expected to see and more... you should be very proud my friend !
Its hard to see but what is the red plants behind your Amazon near center of tank and in back ?
I also see what you mean by the "red " of the P.fluitans... now Im really excited about getting some...

Beautiful Tank !
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Buck--I wish I were a better photographer because the glare from the lighting really detracts from the actual appearance of the tank. The red stuff in the back is rotala sp. "magenta." I'm not sure of the Latin name for this one, but the leaves look a lot like indica, only a dark maroon color. A lot of the stuff I'll be sending you will come from this tank, although I'm looking to thin out some of my floaters from several tanks, so you'll be the lucky beneficiary!

Russ
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 04:32 AM

Russ have I told you yet today that you are the Best ?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode