Another DIY Co2 question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm going to be putting my 29g planted tank into a 55g tank with some discus and the rainbows and neon tetras i have in the 29 already, anyhoo my question is this on the 55g i use a wet dry system with a internal pump i was wondering
if it would be good or ok?
to put 2 2 liter bottles together into one line then put a wetstone or not ? next to the intake on the pump, would that work ok ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
The two bottles being plumbed together as you described will be ok, but we can't be certain that your pump won't airlock without knowing what model it is. Do you have a picture or a manufacturer's website that we can take a look at?

I will throw a word of caution that wet dry filters in general deplete CO2 from the water column fairly quickly. They encourage rigorous gaseous exchange, by design, and are best kept for non-planted tanks where atmospheric gaseous exchange is important.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Well once again my email notices are not working !!
anyhoo, what is Air lock ? i'll have to look at the pump specs but it moves water very quickly so i doubt it woudl lock up ?
also I would hate to not use a perfectly good wet dry, but if u say it wont work then i might have to think else wise

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Well once again my email notices are not working !!
anyhoo, what is Air lock ? i'll have to look at the pump specs but it moves water very quickly so i doubt it woudl lock up ?
also I would hate to not use a perfectly good wet dry, but if u say it wont work then i might have to think else wise
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 06:27 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
If the filter works by introducing air into the system, such as in a trickle filter or a bio-wheel type setup, you will definitely be losing a great deal of CO2. Don't be discouraged, though. Perhaps you can sell the wet/dry or keep it for a saltwater setup someday?

As far as airlock, my Fluval 403 moves a great deal of water, but the impeller design is such that the magnetic drive is at the top of the pump cavity, where air can get trapped and prevent the pump from operating properly. As long as your pump is constantly submerged, and air can't get trapped in the impeller, it might work. Can't hurt to try!

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode