Need filter / heater advice for a proposed Cichlid tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need filter / heater advice for a proposed Cichlid tank

I'm trying to set up my first tank and I'm planning for it to be a 125 gal some kind of Cichlid tank, and I'm needing to outfit myself with everything I need to make the tank run. I've read advice that the equipment used should be based on what type of fish are being cared for, so knowing relatively nothing about what I'm jumping into, at this point I need to defer to you guys for some good equipment advice.

Right now I'm interested in purchasing both filter and heat equipment. I've researched that it's possible to get a unit that does both so I'll probably go this route as long as these units aren't priced too way out there. What I know so far is that I need to filter my water somewhere between 4 and 8 times an hour, and that I'll probably need the equivalent of 2 300 watt heaters to get everything up to the proper temp.

The tank will be on a stand with a false back so a system located under the tank with lines leading up would seem to work well. If it makes any difference in the advice I'll probably try to combine some plants in there sometime as well.

So, if you have any advice on specifically what brand / model / size of these units I should be looking to purchase I'm all ears. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
How about 2x eheim 2217's with 2x 300w hydor inline heaters?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, after looking over lot of product reviews it seems like the Eheim brand, at least over time, is the only one to buy. I didn't find a combined heater filter system made by these guys so I'll probably just go with 2 regular hanging heaters. The idea I heard expressed most often concerning the Eheim filter systems is that although they can be quite a bit more expensive they tend to hold up over time much better than the other highly rated canister filters. So I'm looking at getting 2 Eheim Pro 3E Model 2078 filters each doing 490 gph. Sound about right?

Actually so far I'd also consider the Fluval FX5.

Any alternative suggestions to these two?

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 02-13-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: .

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I hear good things about fluval and ehiem...but what kind of cichlids are you thinking of getting?

I ask because, to give you an idea, on my 75 i run two Eheim 2217....now I forget the gph on a 2217, but you also have a larger tank than mine. Just saying.

You don't plan on doing a planted cichlid tank do you? I mean, it is very much possible but limits your choice in cichlids (still some very sweet species you can get though).

An all cichlid tank can have a lot more different types of cichlids, or even just have a nice breeding pair of something big. Or just one big epic wet pet.

If not planting, silver dollars are always a great cichlid dither. Plus they look nice too.

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode