co2 is not working :( - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
co2 is not working :(

a while back I got a co2 regulator from a member here and it worked pretty good. now it refuses to go past 1 bubble per second! I have everything dialed to the max. the needle valve is maxed out and my diffuser is clean. I am using a check valve, co2 proof tubing, and a regular glass diffuser. the only thing I can think of is a leak. I know I have co2 in the tank because the meter reads 900 psi. I have talked to someone here on the forum and they said that the needle valves push fit connection could be leaking. please help, my tank is currently covered in blue green algae and my hair grass needs co2! I'm borderline thinking about just closing down the tank because I have had so much trouble with the current co2 setup. the setup is currently on a paintball tank.

-tetra10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 11:44 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You probably have a leak somewhere; have you checked all your connections with soapy water?

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
You probably have a leak somewhere; have you checked all your connections with soapy water?

I have not, I know the regulator is pretty high quality but I'm afraid that soapy water will get into my tank.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just use kids bubble solution on my finger, instead of soapy water. if you had a CO2 leak inside your tank you would see bubbles inside your tank.....just take some kids bubbles dip your finger and rub all around your needle valve, just use it sparingly and have a paper towel handy and wipe clean what you have already checked and start from one end of the regulator and work your way to the other side. If thats all good. Then pull the reg off the bottle and make sure the seal hasnt smooshed into the threads. If thats good try making sure your diffuser is clean....like really clean. If you have no leaks everything is hooked up right, then the needle valve could be bad or the solenoid. My azoo sometimes forgets what its doing and I have to unplug it and plug it back in a few times and it starts working again

29g Tetra Tank
100g Planted Angel/Clown Loach
I can't spell...Im an engineer, I do math
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra10 View Post
I have not, I know the regulator is pretty high quality but I'm afraid that soapy water will get into my tank.
You only need a few drops of soapy water solution on your joints. In addition, I don't see how it would get into your aquarium or CO2 cylinder...

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
You only need a few drops of soapy water solution on your joints. In addition, I don't see how it would get into your aquarium or CO2 cylinder...
alright, are push fit connections known to leak?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra10 View Post
alright, are push fit connections known to leak?
Well, they are designed so that they don't leak, but you never know.

If your high pressure gauge is indicating 900 PSI, your delivery pressure is ~30 PSI, and your needle valve is open (unscrewed, turned counterclockwise) all the way, and yet you still have no gas going into the aquarium, there is probably a leak somewhere (or if you have a solenoid, ensure that it is open and not closed).

Anthony

and

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Well, they are designed so that they don't leak, but you never know.

If your high pressure gauge is indicating 900 PSI, your delivery pressure is ~30 PSI, and your needle valve is open (unscrewed, turned counterclockwise) all the way, and yet you still have no gas going into the aquarium, there is probably a leak somewhere (or if you have a solenoid, ensure that it is open and not closed).
ok i will check tomorrow and report back. thanks!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Yah, I'm having the same problem, but I believe I know that mine is the connection from the needle valve to the manifold...only because I had to re-screw it on once and I don't think I did that great of a job :\

Not the worst thing in the world though, and I know I can do it because the other needle valve on this manifold is running at a nice, solid, 2 bps (I can make it more but...I'd rather not atm cause I think I might have accidentally gassed my fish and shrimp that were in that tank.....>.>)

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:

Tags
co2; help;

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode