New here! What should i know before i try Moss for the first time? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New here! What should i know before i try Moss for the first time?

Hey guys/gals!

I am new here, i just purchased a tank last week, so i am just getting back into the hobby!

i have a 50 gal tank, and a LARGE piece of driftwood i would like to have covered in Fissidens Fontanus

now before i place my order, i was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what i need, im very confused right now after some of the research ive done, so i was hoping someone could break it down for me, so that i dont fail at this. ive read a bit about CO2 but im not fully sure what i need and such.. like do i NEED to have a co2 setup? i only want the Fissidens for now, i dont really want to break the bank over it, it sounds expensive to have a co2 setup.

im sorry for such the noobish question, i hope i can one day contribute to these forums!

thanks!

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Welcome!

Mosses will be great plants to cut your teeth on. you absolutly dont need co2 to gow them, but if you are so inclined they will be happy.

The only thing you need to make sure is that your light will grow plants in your tank. And mosses dont require much there either. what light and filter did you end up with?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the reply!

i am pretty sure i have bare bones stuff.

Filter

Aqua Clear power filter 200

light

the bulb says
glo life 20w/t8

i can upgrade if suggested

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
New here! What should i know before i try Moss for the first time?

Fissidins doesn't grow for me in less than 2.5 WPG. I know that's an out of date measurement

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Aquaclears are suprisingly good filters for the price. The single t8 bulb however will be pretty low light. I tried fissidens in 3 tanks. It died off or kinda stunted in the tanks with t8s, the one tank with t5s its doing great. I think your all set aside from your fixture. The lighting section has more info that you could read this year, but hoppys Par thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368 should give you a good idea of what you want. You can still aim for "low light" with a moss tank.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Welcome to TPT
What part of Canada are you from Chris?

I love fissidens, I think it's my favorite moss, it takes a while to start growing, but once it does it seems to explode.
I had my fissidens growing pretty well in my tank with a marineland doublebright which is low-medium light. I was just using Seachem comprehensive for fertilizer, so nothing high-tech.

"Do not need anything to block the Seascapes."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the help guys! i am from Kamloops, BC Blink!

i am in my cycle right now and my tank looks great so far, right now im just pre planning what fish to get in a few weeks, my favorite that ive seen so far are African Cichlids but it seems my environment isnt best for them as they need high PH levels and my driftwood isnt ideal for that. but there are ways around that so who knows, i also heard that Cichlids will eat all plants, so that is another negative as i really want the moss in my tank and maybe 2 other plants.

African Cichlids seem to have the most brilliant colors ive seen for freshwater fish, any idea what other fish i could do instead of Cichlids that have amazing colors as well?

also, i was going to use www.theplantguy.org to purchase my fissidens but he is all out... anyone know where a canadian can purchase some good plants?

here is what i have so far guys

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 09:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
There are all kinds of fish that have color. Dwarf Cichlids (my favorite), rainbow fish (show excellent color once they mature), cardinal tetras, roseline sharks, apistogramma, the list is endless.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have never bought or sold anything to or from Canada, is there any reason you cant use the for sale forum here to purchase your fissidens? Youll end up with a bigger and nicer looking specimen for less than most plant websites! I cant say enough good things about all my buying and selling experiences on TPT so far.
Love the tank and driftwood too!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode