GroW emersed? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (91/100%)
Red face GroW emersed?

Is it just me that I am not into buying that concept? Yah its good that plants are growing faster but then they shed their leaves again once we submerge them. Plus we cant view their beauty since those glasswalls are alway foggy. And finally, instead of fish swimming around, now we might have flies and insect flying around them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
One good reason is to establish roots and anchor the plants down - if you've ever tried to plant HC (or other carpeting plants) submerged you'll understand. The stuff is impossible to keep down!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 06:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Not all plants melt once submerged. For some things, like HC for example, you get better results faster if you grow it emmersed - it grows *much* faster and has a chance to fully root in the substrate (HC is tiny, plus it floats, so it can be difficult to get it to stay down in the substrate until it's rooted). Once submerged it continues to thrive.

I have two tanks I started at around the same time 3 months ago. Both were meant to have HC carpets, one I started emmersed and the other submerged. The tank that was started emmersed was fully carpeted within about 6 weeks, and I've had to trim the HC 4 or 4 times now because it's growing so well. The other tank.. the HC has spread out some, but it's not a carpet by any stretch. I planted about the same amount of HC in each tank in the same pattern, so it's not like they were done drastically different - one of them just had the benefit of 3 weeks of air. The ironic part is that they do have different substrates, but the slow growing tank supposedly has the "better" stuff. I'm actually thinking of moving the inhabitants out an draining the slow growing tank to start over with it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yah. That I can understand. But what about crypt, ludwigia and the others? I am talking about planting them in each pot and keeping them in moisture. Is it a fab now? (beside having the benefit of free CO2?)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ludwigia grows rampant emersed.. I've only ever tried baby crypts emersed, but that's how breeders cross species, via the flower anyway...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
Ludwigia grows rampant emersed.. I've only ever tried baby crypts emersed, but that's how breeders cross species, via the flower anyway...
1+ and crypts will not flower in submersed form. in the natural habitats, crypts are in both submersed and emersed forms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (60/100%)
What I like is how different plants can look in the submersed versus emersed form. There are lots of examples, but one notable one for me is Rotala wallichii. I actually don't like it in its submered form, but it's very interesting and beautiful emersed. I've been growing plants in wabi kusas and I don't ever plan to submerge them. It's just another way to enjoy the plants we already have
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryantube View Post
Is it just me that I am not into buying that concept? Yah its good that plants are growing faster but then they shed their leaves again once we submerge them. Plus we cant view their beauty since those glasswalls are alway foggy. And finally, instead of fish swimming around, now we might have flies and insect flying around them.
Hi ryantube,

A lot of the plants we use in our aquariums are not plants that typically live 12 months a year submerged in water. When Chistel Kasselmann did her talk for Greater Seattle Aquarium Society last fall she showed slides and explained that many of our favorite species grow along the shoreline or in swampy areas. During the 'rainy season' these plants are submerged and during the 'dry season' they grow emersed. Some of these plants lose their leaves when they transition from submerged to emersed growth but my experience has been that the vast majority do not.

Whether a plant will lose it's leaves when transitioning or not has a lot to do with the thickness of the cuticle layer on the leaves. The thicker the cuticle layer the more difficult it is for the leaf to make the transition and the more likely a plant will lose it's leaves when going from emersed to submerged or vice versa. How can we maintain a thin cuticle layer on the leaves and increase the success of plants making the transition; by maintaining very high humidity levels when growing our emersed plants. Here is a short article I did for Northwest Aquaria (GSAS newsletter) on my findings.

Here is a 10 gallon tank with medium light (2X13 watt), no CO2, dosed with Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and Seachem Flourish Excel. All of the plants: Pogostemon, Limnophilia, Ludwigia (2), Bacopa, Styrogyne, Helanthium tenellum, ant the Cryptocoryne were all grown emersed and planted directly into this tank at the end of July. All successfully transitioned from emersed to submerged growth without loss of the emersed leaves.

When planted

After 30 days

At 3 months

Currently

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 02-12-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: ..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nice article. Now I know the benefit as well as the method of growing emersed. So basically you use the bottle as the cover to keep humidity. But do the plastic caps prevent light penetration to the plant?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi ryantube,

Thanks! No, the caps of the humidomes ('peptents') cover just about 1 square inch of the total area and don't even cast a shadow on the substrate below.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 02-12-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: ..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode