31g Tank Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
31g Tank Questions

My parents have had a 31g (120L) fish tank for the longest time and I finally decided to set it up again. The tank had some algea problems before I got started with my setup.

I set it up and bought a few new plants about a month ago. Installed a pressurized CO2 system (Fluval 88g) and planted a few root tabs to get things going. I also put the lighting on a timer too (figured the 15 hour light days weren't helping). Its set to run for 9 hours now (2x T8 6,700k). the algea hasn't been a problem in my setup much

I removed all surface agitation by moving the filter output a bit lower (half way submerged). There were two airstones going 24/7 which were agitating the surface a lot too which I removed. What is your opinion on them? (I shut off the CO2 every night).

Tank dimensions are: 32x14x17"

I had a couple of questions in regards to the lighting and water changes. I've been doing 10% waterchanges daily for the last week to get NO3 down. It is at normal levels now - should I cut down to weekly now? How often should I be cleaning out my filter?

Are my lights penetrating the water enough? I want to grow some HC successfully and the last attempt I had didn't work out too well. The other plants seem to be doing well. I will upload a few pics when I get onto a computer. Am I on the right track to setting up a healthy aquarium.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Photos + Fish list

2x Buenos Aieres Tetra
2x Green Cory (the only fish I added with my new setup)
3x Cherry Barbs
2x Danio Zebra
4x Neon Tetras
2x Brown Kuhli Loaches
1x Yoyo loach
2x Rasbora Heteromorphas
2x Dwarf African frogs
2x Red Onion Snail
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (77/99%)
worrying about the....

substrates...

HC is a kind of sensitive one and requires good lights, CO2, and nutrients with lower pH.
From your pictures, I would do a next couple of things.

1) Get the variety of light spectrums (instead of 2x6500K, 1x6500, 1x10000K)

2) Substrates - too bad you can do anything about it now, so I will try root tabs where you plan to grow HC. (Usually soils are good source for HC growth with lower pH and nutrients in the soils.)

About the water change if it is hard to keep as a daily 10%, I will do 20%/3days.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode