Orange clay pots - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Orange clay pots

I've been soaking some small clay pots for about a day and noticed a yellow tinge to the water. I dumped then added new water. Do these pots harm fish or inverts? What is the yellow stuff in the water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SUNSUN Pimp #103 Model HW505a Fraternity of Dirt #155
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are they terra cotta pots? If so, they are harmless, just scrub with water and a brush. A picture would be great to see what you are using.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

They aren't glossy, just wet.

Here they are. Got them from an arts and crafts store.

SUNSUN Pimp #103 Model HW505a Fraternity of Dirt #155

Last edited by BulletToothBoris; 02-25-2014 at 06:23 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I've used dozens of them from Garden Centers and HomeDepot with no issue. I'd suggest soaking them for a few days in a bucket of water to see it they are leaching out something.

Maybe for crafts they are coated with something?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I've used dozens of them from Garden Centers and HomeDepot with no issue. I'd suggest soaking them for a few days in a bucket of water to see it they are leaching out something.

Maybe for crafts they are coated with something?
I agree. I have dozens of them throughout the fish room. The picture does make them look like they have a sheen to them. When you remove a clay pot from water it never looks shiny like that. For the small amount of money involved, I would just go to a garden center, buy a couple of nice African Violets for those pots and a pick a few clay pots for your aquarium plants. They should cost in the area of $2 each. I'm thinking you paid more for those glazed pots. Keep in mind that simple clay pots are porous and will absorb fluids and are stained by fertilizer salts over time. Glazing them inside and out prevents that, but makes them a little more expensive and may not be safe for use in an aquarium depending on how they are glazed.

Just a tip on using clay pots. You need to cover the drain hole in the bottom or whatever you put in there will fall out to some extent. That may or may not be an issue for you. you can use small squares of any rinsed fabric.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode