Question about starting up 55 gallon fish-less cycle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Question about starting up 55 gallon fish-less cycle

Hey ya'll I've got question about setting up a tank with a fish-less plant-less cycle. I've got a 55g with a fluval 405 can filter, dual t 5 lights; i forgot the temp of them ATM and i'm doing a 3 inch bed with eco-complete for 2 inches and a sand top.
My question is can i just lay the 2 inch bed of eco complete down and do the cycle with the soaked driftwood in there and then once its done, add the sand When ive got the plants bought and here or will that mess with the biological filtration covering the eco sub?
Have
fluval 405
dual t 5's
substrate
doser
driftwood
heater
nano 240

Process of getting
semi Co2 kit
plants
fish
timer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
you can pretty much do whatever it is you want to do as far as cycling. But I must warn you, you cannot cap eco complete with sand.

As is the nature of smaller particles sitting on top of larger; the sand will eventually end up under the eco complete.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the quick reply, and i didn't think that part through about substrate any idea's what to do about that cause i find the florite, eco, and etc ugly and i like the idea of the look sand gives for planted tanks.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
mineralized top soil capped with sand? just sand with root tabs is also an option. Or maybe even flourite black, which is a sand sized grain, capped with white sand.

Also remember that sand gets dirty fast, and is really pretty difficult to clean when you've got plants you don't want to disturb.

do you just not like a dark substrate? if you're fine with dark substrate, flourite black sand could do it for you http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...87&cagpspn=pla

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I almost went black, but decided against it since my first take is black gravel kinda bored of the color. one of the bigger issues is i have the substrates already bought, i just read this however about a guy putting what he said was a very fine layer of filter floss in between the layers cutting out areas where the plants will go. I don't know if anyone has tried this before or anything. If so tell me how it went cause it kinda sounds like the path i may i go that or do the front in sand with plants that don't need the eco.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Algae Grower

You can actually just draw a layout of how you want your tank done on paper. Make a cardboard border to segregate where you want the regular substrate and sand. Carefully remove border. Fill tank very carefully

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode