New Tank - Water Parameters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi All,

I am very new to the world of live aquarium plants. I just setup my new 10 gallon planted tank yesterday and I need some help with the water chemistry. Because the water is VERY soft in Seattle, I started off with de-ionized water and used Aquarium Pharm's Electro-Right and pH Adjuster to get the water into the appropriate range (7.0 ph, 2deg dKH, 3deg dGH). Then I added Aquarium Pharm's Leaf Zone to get some nutrients into the water column. I did some testing today and it appears that Leaf Zone didn’t really get the nutrients to the level I was expecting. Currently my nitrate, phosphate and iron levels are all at a big fat 0. I don’t have a test kit for it, but I am assuming my potassium level is also extremely low.

CO2 is at about 10ppm but I just got my yeast-based system going so that should rise shortly. Currently there are no fish, although I plan to add some in about a month or two once the tank has stabilized.

I realize that Leaf Zone was not intended to replenish all the nutrients in the tank, but I am not sure what else to use with or in place of it. Do you guys have any suggestions for what I should add to the water to get my micro and macro nutrients at a descent level? Any suggestions would be fantastic! Below are my target perameters, let me know if I am off on something.

pH 6.5 - 7.0
NH3 & NH4 0.0 ppm
NO2 0.0 ppm
NO3 5.0 - 10.0 ppm
PO4 0.2 - 0.5 ppm
CO2 15.0 - 20.0 ppm
Fe2, Fe3 & Chelated Fe 0.2 - 0.7 ppm
KH 2.0° - 6.0° dKH
GH 2.0° - 7.0° dGH

Thanks and sorry for the long post, Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
PO4 will come with time.
1 tsp of KNO3 (stump remover) will raise NO3 in a 55gal tank by approx 5ppm.

Leaf Zone is a weekly supplement and will not stock your tank with enough nutrient levels to get started, but it will do the job over time. The suggested dosage on the bottle is likely geared towards maintaining certain levels, not achieving them from DI water.

I say, give it time. Keep up the good work and you'll achieve the desired balance in a few months. You're doing good, though.

I will say that it is going to be tough to constantly alter your tap water parameters to keep tank parameters constant. Especialy during water changes. The less you do to your tap water, the easier it is to maintain.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode